Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brownnugen

Is this a reasonable quote to prep/install vinyl sheeting?

brownnugen
10 years ago

Can you tell me if you think this is high, low, or about right?

This is for approximately 950 sq/ft, currently covered in old carpet.

Enbase level (material and labor): $1225
Installation of flooring: $856
Removal of old carpet $169
replacement of molding: $387

Cost of actual vinyl sheeting: about $3,000

Total cost: almost $6,000 or about $6 sq/ft installed.

I thought sheet vinyl would've been an affordable option, but I don't know now.

Is this right, or do I need another opinion?

Comments (11)

• glennsfc
    10 years ago

In my market that would be about right for top quality sheet vinyl flooring installation. At that price the installation needs to be flawless; the substrate needs to be flat, smooth and ready for the vinyl, all associated materials need to be manufacturer specified and all seams need to be properly cut and sealed, so as not to be noticeable now or in the future.

"enbase level"...what's that?

• brownnugen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not sure if I heard him right on the phone due to his accent, but he explained that it was something used to level the floor and help with moisture? Says it takes about a day to dry.

Guy is an independent contractor, no store front so I thought his prices would've been lower, but I have not gotten another quote to see how it compares.

I was going to go with Congoleum Airstep advantage in the Pecan Pie style. They have it at Lowes for $3.49 sq/ft. But I was talking to a different flooring store and they would sell it to me for $3.00 sq/ft.

• gregmills_gw
    10 years ago

Only a 169 for carpet removal? Thats a steal! Although i have a gut feeling they are making up for that with other services on the bid. Overall it seems pretty reasonable. As Glennsfc said the seams need to be flawless.

Was someone over to your home to take measurements and to see exactly what would be needed to get everything prepped fir install? Meaning subfloor prep.

Multiple bids from different companies is ALWAYS a good idea. Cant hurt and your never under obligation to agree to anything!

• brownnugen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, he came out and did measurements. Without pulling out the carpet to see what the concrete beneath the carpet and padding looks like, could it possibly be more or less work to prep the floor? Or is it just a given that the floor prep needs to be done?

The lower level is laid out like this; a great big family room, with a hallway leading to bathroom, unfinished laundry room, unfinished storage room, and bedroom/office (we are not re flooring bathroom, laundry room or storage room at this time).

• brownnugen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your replies so far:

With help of my local store (I am currently living in a different state 12 hours away from where I need the work done), I just figured out "enbase leveling" is supposed to be emboss leveling. They told me that if I currently have carpet and pad down there, there is a pretty good chance that my concrete will already be pretty level and there would be no need to emboss the entire floor. There may be certain areas that need minor patching. I am not trying to cut corners here, but also don't want to pay for something not needed.

Other than ensuring the concrete is flat, is there any other prep work needed before putting down the vinyl sheeting?

For a large section, is it always adviseable to have it glued down? I was wondering because this stuff is pretty thick and heavy and thought that it may stay still because of its sheer weight and then there will be furniture on there.

Thanks again so far, I feel a lot smarter now to have another conversation with the contractor.

• glennsfc
    10 years ago

The only time you would use embossing leveler is when you are going over existing flooring that has an embossed surface.

The overall price is about where it ought to be in some markets, but would be considered overcharging in some others.

He is charging $1.29 per square foot for the preparation without looking at what's under the carpet. There will be prep work to do, but how much? I think he's given that price based on what his experience is with these types of jobs.

We used to prep and install vinyl all the time...and we would spend an entire day just removing the carpet materials and prepping the slab. You really have to make the substrates smooth and debris-free to have an attractive and successful result in the long-term. A grain of sand under the floor at a critical location can make for an eyesore in an otherwise good installation. Preparation is most important...I cannot stress that more.

Also, any filler needs to be a cementious formulation. Most 'white' floor fillers are not cementious and are not suitable for use as a floor filler.

Your job should take a 'minimum' of two days to do from start to finish, especially if there is much prep to do. I would be uncomfortable were I told a job of that size would be complete in just one day. You don't want a rushed job...for it is usually on jobs that are rushed where there are problems down the road.

Good luck.

• GreenDesigns
    10 years ago

You will need to do much of the same prep for any flooring type (remove carpet and level slab) but you will end up with a much more upscale floor to move to another material. An engineered wood floor like a nice hickory can be had for between $3-$4 a square foot from a good source and will wear equally well. But it will look 100x better.

• brownnugen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, so my friend just went to the house and pulled up the carpet and padding to see what lurked beneath. He saw some brown tiles under there. When a guy from a local floor store came by and looked at it he said that there may some asbestos be nearby there and it may be pricey to remove. I guess I can see why the previous owners just put carpet there.

• brownnugen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So now, I am considering not going with vinyl sheeting and going with a floating floor.. While I am willing to hire a professional for things that I can't handle, I am also thinking of doing as much as possible as a DIY project.

Should the existing tile be adequate for a moisture barrier or should another layer be used?

What is the best method to determine if the existing vinyl is level or will require to be leveled?

I am looking for extreme durability (active family/pets and potential for it to become a rental in about 4 years) and equally important is for the flooring type/appearance to be appealing (not feel or be perceived as "cheap") in terms of looks and feel.

Would engineered wood or a laminate be best for this? This will be going in a relatively dry finished basement.

• GreenDesigns
    10 years ago

Do you have a 4' level? The floor needs to be flat. No more than 1/8" in 4' is best. Getting it that way may involve some leveling compound, and that's not cheap. I'd first get those tiles tested to be sure about what you're dealing with. If they aren't asbestos, then it opens up some possibilities. IF they are, there are ways of dealing with it. It's not as bad in the flooring as it is in the air duct insulation.

• glennsfc
    10 years ago

"It's not as bad in the flooring as it is in the air duct insulation."

That is a reasonable statement. I agree that there is no need for a homeowner to freak out when discovering an installed asbestos containing floor tile in a residence. So long as the product is not pulverized in any way to create an airborne dust, there is little hazard with just leaving it in place.