Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christnrn_gw

Question about acclimating wood floor

christnrn
10 years ago

I'm planning on having 6 1/2" x 3/4" Brazilian Cherry prefinished flooring installed in a room on the first level of our home. Yesterday an installer from the store where it was purchased from came to our home to give us an estimate for the installation. When I asked him about having the flooring delivered a few days early I was told they "very rarely do that" since their warehouse is climate controlled,and therefore humidity and moisture isn't an issue.

I'm just wondering if anyone with expertise could chime in here and tell me if that's true? I've heard from so many places how important it is that the wood be acclimated and I don't want to have issues after it's all installed. I'm not sure if I should insist they deliver it ahead of time (or pick it up myself). Thanks in advance!

Comments (8)

• GreenDesigns
    10 years ago

Well, it is acclimated----to their warehouse. If you want it acclimated to the conditions in your home, have it delivered a week early and spread it out.

• StoneTech
    10 years ago

Yep~ Chances are the temp and humidity aren't the same in the Warehouse as in your home.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Ideally it should be spread out in your house to acclimate for 3-4 weeks.

• judyallen123
    10 years ago

Just having new hickory floors laid. They are cupping and have raised up in other areas. The house was not air conditioned when they laid the floors. AC has now been running for 2 weeks and cupping is still present, though better. When floor guy came back the moisture meter showed the plywoood to be at 16 and hickory was below 6. Now hickory shows at 14 and plywood at 12. Does this mean anything to you all? He said he did not check the moisture before he laid the floor. Seriously!

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

"The house was not air conditioned when they laid the floors."

Every manufacturer requires HVAC be on and working.

The installer should have refused to ;ay the floor.

The only thing you can use is tincture of time.

Just wait. Possibly many months.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

"Just wait. Possibly many months", and even then it may never lay down completely.

• StoneTech
    10 years ago

Jesus.....a week to ten days is adequate..........

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

"Jesus.....a week to ten days is adequate.........."

It takes about a year per inch to air dry lumber directly from a tree.

A week to ten days is simply NOT adequate unless the floor is 3/8 inch thick.