Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joyintx_gw

What do you know about Johnson hardwood flooring?

joyintx
10 years ago

Been lots of places and finally stumbled on a Johnson dealer. Are they not as easy to find because they are somewhat "exclusive", or because nobody wants to deal with them? The flooring appears well-made, but reviews are few and far between. Have been considering the ForeverTuff Brazilian Walnut, American Walnut, or Brazilian Oak. Any experience with or info on Johnson products is appreciated! Photos welcome, too, if you have had it installed :) .

Comments (13)

• Jeff
    10 years ago

We have about 600 ft2 of Johnson Chateau maple engineered flooring in our master bedroom and adjoining nursery. We had it installed about five years ago. We like it and have had no issues with it. There were no installation problems and we really like the color and quality of the stain and finish. I would recommend it.

• beckyjackson3026
    10 years ago

I have Johnson hardwood throughout most of my house (Texas series, Dallas color) and LOVE it. I have two dogs and I am a foster for a local dog rescue so I have dogs running and playing in the house all the time. I have had NO PROBLEMS at all with this floor. Everyone who sees the floor comments on how beautiful it is.

• Travis Bennett
    7 years ago

What kind of finish does your floor have, aluminum oxide or wax/oil finish?

• gstrek13
    7 years ago

Most, if not all, of Johnson's engineered hardwood flooring is advertised as having an "11 Step Aluminum Oxide Finish". I guess that's good, but how do we know. I am assuming 11 Steps is better than 10, but not as good as 12. Who knows what any of this flooring jargon really means at the end of the day.

• PRO
    Uptown Floors
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I can see how frustrating that can be for many. Companies (not all) have been trying to one up another with the jargon for years. At the end of the day it's really about wear to bare wood only if you look at how warranties are written. Seven, twelve I don't think it makes much difference either as some may have slightly thicker or thinner applications in each coat on the finish line. Not that we'll notice it.

Realistically once any finish does wear to bare wood, that floor has gone through the ringer. And more than likely the reason will probably be a combination of moisture or dirt and grit that has worn/affected the floor over the years. What's that mean? Warranty void. Poor maintenance procedures.

Ken Fisher

Uptown Floors

• amagoo
    7 years ago

gstrek13 I just read on another Houzz discussion thread that aluminum oxide finish will scratch and if you have a dark finish, the scratches look white. I wish I could remember which thread it was because I have looked at many today trying to get feedback on different types of wood, engineered, laminate and LVP flooring

• bosdiyer
    7 years ago

We installed a Johnson Amendoim floor (3 1/4 x 3/4 solid pre-finished) we ordered through brazilianhardwood.com and both the finish and quality are outstanding. There are more long boards than you would expect and out of 1,100 sq ft we might have had 10 bad boards.

• Gabriel Salinas
    6 years ago

We strongly considered Johnson Floors but ended up going with the brand Earthwerks. Specifically the Frontier Collection by Earthwerks. We felt like we were able to get a wonderful deal on this flooring that featured 1/2" thick, 7 ply, multi-width planks, with lifetime residential structural and finish warranty (whatever that really covers). So far we have only had this flooring for nearly 6 months, so its very early to tell how it will hold up long term. For this short time though, we have been very happy with this flooring. Still looking beautiful.

• eddiesilberman
    6 years ago

We have Johnson engineered flooring throughout our condominium. I would not buy it again as it is too soft and marks and dents way to easy. Anything dropped on the floor, high heels; feet of chairs or couches, almost anything will dent it. I can not recommend it.

• Gayle Almen
    last year

I've got the luxery vinyl farmhouse briar cliff in my family room and love it! I installed it myself and it was a breeze and I'm a woman! Its been about 4 years since installation. Has stood up extremely well to pets claws and moving furniture around on it and it is easy to care for!

• Tina Buell
    last year
    last modified: last year

I have the Johnson Hardwood Flooring : English Pub Hickory - Rye color and it scratches SO EASILY! It’s also rough, I cant wipe it with a soft cloth without the cloth snagging small splinters of wood. I would not buy it again and regret the purchase.

• Renaissance Man
    6 months ago

that sucks I was about to buy some and then heard bad news on the long term quality of their flooring!

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource