Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chinese made wood floors

Posted by vb123 (My Page) on
Sun, May 5, 13 at 16:08

I am picking out engineered wood floors for most of the surfaces in my house and ran into this issue: Most of the floors are manufactured in China. Should I be worried? If it's manufactured in China, then most likely it's grown in China as well. I am talking about the good American brands, ie Johnson. I am told they are all made in China now. The exception would be the exotic woods companies from Brazil such as IndusParquet. I am worried about the polutants that go into the tree growing in Chine, the fumes from the glue that is used to glue the strips of wood together that creates engineered wood, and of course, the glue that is used to glue the floor to the concrete. Any advise? I like the Brazilian Cherry and similar looking woods. I love the color variation.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chinese made wood floors

Most of the time the trees are grown on US soil then shipped to china for finishing.

The problem with china is it can be really inconsistant. You might get a batch just fine but then the next batch could be a little off. Theres no regulation over there. While most companies selling it catch some of the worst issues that doesnt mean some bad stuff goes thru.

If you get a brand thats finished in america you are more likely to get a consistant product

o

It should be fine if the product has a long structural and finish warranty.

o

Read the fine print on the warrantys. All of them! Did you install the floor? Warranty voided. Did the installer prep the sub floor properly? No? Warrranty voided. Did you have a leaky faucet drip onto the floor? Warranty voided.
Did you clean the floor properly? No? Warranty voided.

My point is the warrantys are pretty much useless. The manufacturer will tear the place apart to avoid paying ANYTHING!

Dont buy a wood flooring product based off warranty.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here