Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mirage or Mercier Hardwood flooring

Posted by jax0408 (My Page) on
Sun, May 6, 12 at 15:57

Hello all,

Looking to get feed back from everyone. I am looking to do my living room, dining room and foyer in hardwood (600 sq ft.). I have two kids 6 and 9 and a 65lb boxer dog. Some have suggested laminate but i just love hardwood.

Anyhow here is where I am at I am thinking Mercier hardwood Cinnamon red Oak or Mirage Maple Auburn. Is it worth the extra dollar or two to buy mirage or will the mercier be fine. Also my cousin will be installing so I would like the one that would be easier for him to install.

Also if anyone has any other recommendations that be great.
Thanks Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mirage or Mercier Hardwood flooring

I just tried some samples of the Mirage. The one we liked was the maple. I also had some Pergo laminate samples - about a 4" square. One fell out of my hands and landed on the Mirage and took some of the wood off and left a nice ding. At the flooring store they raved about this being the best and how hard the wood was but I was not impressed.

o

Please, You can not judge the quality of a wood floor because it dented. All wood will dent, some easier than others. The quality comes from the fit and finish.
A knowledgeable flooring dealer will help you pick the right wood for your life style. Oaks and maple are medium hard woods which have served generations of users well. Wood is timeless.

With a 65 lb. dog you will need at lest a floor as hard as hickory. Maple and oak will both show claw marks from your pet.

o

We installed Hickory in our kitchen because it was the hardest non exotic wood we could find. Ours was the natural varigatid finsih but I have seen hickory stained to match about any wood that has grain. Some maple doesn't

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here