Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mreenrn

Mirage solid and engineered flooring quote: GASP!

mreenrn
9 years ago

We are putting approximately 450 sq ft of hardwood flooring in our new (to us) house. It will be in the LR and FR over a full but unfinished, dry basement. In the past we have had site finished coated with Rubio Monocoat and loved it but also like the ease of installation of pre-finished. We are a family of 3 adults and a dopey 90 lb yellow lab who doesn't really like to expend energy.

Today I looked at prefinished flooring: Columbia, Sommerset, and MIrage both solid and engineered. I knew Mirage was considered the top of the line but OH MY! I really like the MIrage Elegant Nevada Red Oak with Cashmere finish. The quote made me gasp: $12/sq ft for engineered and $13 sq/ft for 3/4" solid. That did NOT include installation!

Columbia and Sommerset quote was under $7 sq but as it so often happens, I didn't like the color as much and it seemed the bevels were more pronounced.

Tell me your opiniion please? Is the Mirage quote nuts? We live in Michigan and would appreciate any input.

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

This IS one of those cases that you get what you pay for.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

That sounds about what I remember; expensive area but not NY. I don't recall their different lines but I do remember some very plastic looking finishes making them look like fake wood, which was very unappealing imo. Maybe all were not that way but I thought it odd for the price. They scratch white. So get a sample and beat it up to see how it looks and what you can do to refinish in 15 years.

• mreenrn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the responses. We decided to go with site finished and use Rubio Monocoat again. It ended up making the most sense since the house is currently empty and we plan to be here for the long haul. I loved the Mirage but it will have to stay at the flooring store.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

Sounds like a wise choice. These prefinished floors are problematic. I wouldn't do engineered either unless there's a reason you have to.

Good to hear you love the monocoat! It is an intriguing option.

• wakefield52
    9 years ago

Just reading above about engineered floors. We have hardwood floors throughout our center hall colonial home and are gutting the kitchen and adding on master bedroom, master bath, large closet and a glass round room off the kitchen. We were told we should sand, stain and coat the current floors to match the new hardwood that will be in the kitchen and the rest of the addition. But, that means moving furniture and moving out for at least 3 weeks. So someone mention engineered hardwood floors for the kitchen and addition. I do not know anything about them or know if I went darker in the new areas if the 31 year old natural hardwood we have if it would look good etc. Thanks for any help.

• glennsfc
    9 years ago

If you engage a careful flooring contractor who uses state of the art machines and finishes and employs smart dust control methods, there would be no reason for you to vacate the house while the work is being done.

• illinigirl
    9 years ago

We also looked at Mirage and got wildly varying quotes. For our roughly 1200 sq ft of wood we needed we got one quote around 16K and another at 25K! For the exact same product and installation. Wow! For that price we decided to go site finished walnut and couldn't be happier with our decision. The Mirage was nice but the site finished is even nicer.

We are in Michigan and Complete Flooring was the lower price, and Verhey was the higher price. I don't know how Verhey stays in business with those prices.

• kayakboy
    9 years ago

wakefield.

If your existing wood floor is is reasonable shape i would just refinish it to keep the connection to the existing history of the house.

It would also be a lot cheaper :).

• wakefield52
    9 years ago

I thought we would have to move out for the floors to dry if we have to redo the 31 year old existing natural oak floors. That is why I wondered if we just darkened and put down wider wood floors in the kitchen if we could "forget" about redoing the existing floors. Also it seems there is only about $1 difference---is that true---between real wood and engineered and prefinished???? So thought real wood would be better?????

• housebuilding126
    7 years ago

mreenrn I know this is a super old thread but I would be forever grateful if you could tell me who finished your floors with rubio mono coat in Michigan! We are searching!