Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shiplap vs T&G - do I care?

Posted by Andi_K (My Page) on
Thu, May 26, 11 at 15:46

We are in the process of selecting wide plank hardwood floors for our new build. We've been looking at the antique oak wide plank floors - but of course these are pricey! I came across a company that makes wide plank wood floors specifically to create the look of them being 250 yrs old -which is what we'd like to have. They look beautiful, are less expensive and I can't find any reason to not go with them except that they only make shiplap joints.

Everything else we've looked at is T&G, so I'm not sure why these are shiplap, but does it matter? Do I care? We are looking at random widths 7" - 11"...up to 12 ft long.

Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shiplap vs T&G - do I care?

Ship-lap normally does not hold the floor down on the lap edge as well as T&G.

There is more chance of moisture changes in the flooring causing one edge to rise.

In T&G the tongue is fastened down (nails or staples) while the groove side traps the next tongue to prevent movement vertically of the groove side of the plank.

In ship-lap the lap side is not held down.

o

Thanks! That helps a lot...

o

My husband and I are looking at apitong. It is also ship-lap, but the thinnest dimension is 1-1/8" with a 7" face and 8-20' lengths. I would if the edge would pop up. This is the stuff they use in truck beds and trailers. It is very strong. At that width, we could probably have a local mill T&G it. ?

We do not want a 'refined' floor. We also want to oil it. I'm not sure if this is what you are looking at? We've just begun our research so we are not sure how well it would work. Also, I'm wondering about nailing through the top - like you see in old wide plank homes?

o

harbormom - we are going for the old house look, so the nailing through the top doesn't bother me at all. And, I don't want them to be 'perfect' looking by any means. I did get the samples from the company and like them a lot (colonialplankfloors.com). And the pricing is very reasonable. Here's a pic from their site of what they look like close up...

Photobucket

BUT, I also just received samples of the antique/reclaimed oak from a local company this afternoon. They are more expensive, but not as much as I anticipated, so I have a feeling I will cave on these. They are absolutely gorgeous! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here