Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theresa2_gw

Unheated enclosed porch flooring?

theresa2
12 years ago

I'm looking for a proper flooring material for an unheated enclosed porch in Chicago climate. Will Cumaru tongue and grove decking be appropriate?

Does anyone use tongue and grove douglas fir anymore which was the traditional product used in this application? I'm reading that douglas fir is not a good product to use anymore because it is not old growth wood.

I prefer a wood floor, even if I have to paint it as it is more tradition, softer and warmer than other flooring.

There are painted interior wooded steps in this porch. Porcelain tile would be too difficult to make work from a depth perspective, by the time you figure installing cement board underneath. Also, with tile, I can attempt to stabilize the floor from movement, but I think the stairs would be near impossible.

I prefer not to use vinyl. I also would not mind linoleum, but I understand that it is hard to find someone with the knowhow to install it and there is also some question on the more environmentally friendly glues that don't hold up to extreme temperature ranges.

Carpet is definitely out because it won't hold up to dirt traffic in this heavily used mud room.

Please help me find something I can use. Thanks

Comments (3)