Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homebound_gw

multi-room and hallway - which direction for wood?

homebound
15 years ago

I've helped with a couple hardwood installs, but have a couple Q's on a job I'm doing myself.

After pulling wall-to-wall carpet, I'm redoing a 2nd floor "top step" landing, hallway and two bedrooms (& closets). From the top landing, one steps left to the hallway which runs back parallel to the stairs. There's one bedroom (11x13) off to the side of the hall and the other "straight back" (12 deep x 17 wide).

I haven't figured out the joist run yet with the carpet in place (this is a crazy 2 story condo with lots of posts & beams in both directions), but in general, does one "almost always" go across the joists or does one factor in aesthetics and transition at the threshold of some rooms, etc? I "think" the joists will run across the hall, so the hallway will be done Long-way" and just continue in both bedrooms. But that would mean the end master bedroom will run from the short wall. (transition at threshold or just do it that way?)

BTW, as for some squeaks (not many) in the first floor oak floor, have you folks had good results with "break-off" type fasteners that screw straight into the floor? What's the name and whre can you buy those (I haven't found them locally in N. VA from general suppliers) and any tips on first locating the joists underneath the floor?

BTW, should stair tread edge pieces get glued or nailed?

Thanks very much.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH