Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jinxjinx34

Yet another pre-finished vs. site-finished question

jinxjinx34
9 years ago

Hi all -- building a new house, and I've spent a ton of time reading the old threads concerning this, but still am unsure. Seems people are passionate on both sides.

The builder offers 2 1/4-inch-plank site-finished oak as standard on most of the main floor. We can choose from three standard stains. We want to do the whole house in wood floors, so would be upgrading the master bedroom and closet, plus all the bedrooms upstairs.

Then, they also offer some Shaw pre-finished floors. Specifically, I like this one, the Rosedown Hickory in Burnt Sugar. This is from the "epic engineered" line, which I understand is something different than standard engineered floors?

http://shawfloors.com/hardwood-floorsdetails/rosedown_hickory_sw221-burnt_sugar

For the record, to upgrade to this in the whole house would be about $20,000, and to do the site-finished oak, it would be about $17,000. If we upgraded to 5-inch planks in the site-finished oak, it would be about $21,000.

I really love the look of the distressed engineered hickory, the color, the low sheen (I don't like glossy floors), everything.

However, we have three young kids -- twins who are almost 7, and a 10-year-old. Our son likes to spin his Beyblades on the floor, lol. And, we have a hairy yellow lab with long nails that runs everywhere.

In our current house, we have site-finished oak in a natural finish (just on the main floor). We sanded and re-finished it when we moved in 9 years ago. It's really beat up now and needs another sanding (we were lax about letting the kids ride their tricycles inside, you name it), but because the stain is fairly light, it hides most of the scratches.

I would love to get darker floors, and also something with some character -- but I've read horror stories about Shaw's epic engineered line. I also know we can't sand and re-finish it, but honestly, the odds of our doing so before the kids leave the house are slim. We plan to be in this new home for at least 15 years, until we're empty nesters.

So, what to do? If I go a little darker with the site-finished oak that's offered, will the dog scratches and normal wear and tear look just awful?

If I go with the Shaw Rosedown Hickory epic engineered, will I be getting floor that hides scratches for at least 15 years, or will I be buying a headache?

(If I love the look of hickory, should I see if the builder will price out solid hickory floors from Shaw for me? Don't know if they will do that.)

Please advise!

(I also need to think about what to put in the rather large basement -- don't want carpet, ideally would like wood -- but one thing at a time.)

Comments (12)

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

Slab construction=Engineered. Above grade=Dealer's Choice. Below grade=vinyl or porcelain.

• rwiegand
    9 years ago

Greendesigns-- curious about your statement. When I did my woodshop it was slab on grade, but I wanted a wood floor, so I put down a sealed vapor barrier, 2x4 sleepers on their sides 12" OC, 3/4" plywood on top of that, then regular site-finished hardwood (a mix of ~10 species, but that's a different story). So far it's actually better behaved than the above-grade flooring in the house, rock solid with minimum movement, and quite fine with a lot of heavy cast iron machines being dragged around on it. I've cut a few holes through it while pulling wiring and see no evidence of trapped moisture (there's foam insulation, not perfectly sealed, under the slab as well). What's not to like about regular T&G hardwood on a concrete slab?

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

I tend to think of engineered hardwood as a level between solid wood and laminate (it actually IS a laminate, but the top is wood instead of plastic).

I would definitely do site finished, in whatever wood species you want. Do a darker colored stain in the bedrooms. As you've already experienced, real wood floors can be refinished. Engineered floors can be refinished once, but probably not more than that.

As for your lab - I have dogs and wood floors. I cut their nails at least once a week - as soon as I can hear them clickity-clack on the floor.

• jinxjinx34
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, all! I sent the builder a note asking if they could do site-finished hickory. Appreciate it!

• User
    9 years ago

I think you've made a good decision. If it's likely that you're going to beat up the floor, it's wise to buy something that can be refinished. Fairly regularly I recommend that clients put in a quality floor and not worry so much about the cosmetic aspect while the kids are growing up. Once they're more responsible (or move out) you can refinish it and have the floor you wanted.

• westsider40
    9 years ago

Absolutely get the site finished. I much prefer oak to hickory. You won't listen but you will be much happier if you don't get dark floors as you have kids to raise and you don't want to be a slave to dark floors. Dark shows every speck.

I think narrower oak site finished, without a bevel, are timeless, classy and not a trend. No to five inch, no to pre beat up hard scraped (which, sorry, I think is a real stupid trend) and yes to elegance. Good thing your builder offers a dying art of site finished. I am now doing a 3000 s f house and same questions.

• jinxjinx34
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Westsider, I *am* willing to listen. :) Do you like oak better just because of how it looks, or is oak better than hickory for other reasons?

I have a follow-up question, because I think I'm confused -- I had thought that "pre-finished" automatically meant the floor was engineered wood, with either plywood or fiberboard core, and wood veneer top.

But the builder is telling me that all of Shaw's floors are pre-finished (no site-finished), and yet they do have solid wood options. (The site-finished floors that the builder offers as standard are apparently from another supplier.)

What is the difference in appearance, then, between site-finished solid wood and pre-finished solid wood? If we got the latter, can it be sanded and refinished later, or no?

Thanks, all, for your help!

• glennsfc
    9 years ago

I will jump in here with an answer to your can it be refinished question.

You can refinish a factory finished wood floor, but be aware that the cost of doing that will be more than refinishing a site finished wood floor. The aluminum oxide or ceramic-type finishes being applied to many factory finished products are resistant to being sanded off, so the extra time and materials needed to do that will be factored into the job cost.

• westsider40
    9 years ago

pre-finished is a final coat applied in a factory. Site finished is the final coats applied in your home. Solid hardwood, as opposed to engineered or laminate, can be either factory or site finished.

Another element in the mix is whether there is a bevel or not. A bevel is an angle, usually just a microbevel or a small bevel between the boards. A sanding removes the bevel in most cases so a site finished floor usually has no bevels. I personally prefer a no bevel floor as I would be concerned that little specks of hard matter would get in the cracks (accumulate in the bevels). But my concern may not be real and may only be a worry. My dil has a prefinished, bevelled floor and has no dirt in the cracks. So i cannot say for sure, only what is my perception.

I think all engineered is pre finished. I think.

• westsider40
    9 years ago

A dark stain shows dust, splotches, dogfur, waterspots, food, way more than a medium or light colored stain.

A shiny floor shows all that foreign stuff way more than a matte floor. A dark, shiny floor will look messier. Yet, the trend is now for pretty, dark, shiny floors. And nobody thinks that their particular floors will be subject to these general 'rules'.

• westsider40
    9 years ago

A dark stain shows dust, splotches, dogfur, waterspots, food, way more than a medium or light colored stain.

A shiny floor shows all that foreign stuff way more than a matte floor. A dark, shiny floor will look messier. Yet, the trend is now for pretty, dark, shiny floors. And nobody thinks that their particular floors will be subject to these general 'rules'.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022