Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northminnesota_gw

Congoleum DuraCeramic or Armstrong Alterna

northminnesota
10 years ago

Good Morning! We are in the midst of a cabin remodel and we need to make a decision on flooring for a walkout lower level at the lake. I want something that is durable and can take a lot of wear and tear as this floor will be in the main exit and entrance from the lake. It will be walked on by wet and sandy human feet and one very large dog. We don't want tile as it is so cold here in the North Woods and our parents have hip and knee issues that make stone/tile hard on them. Any opinions on the above mentioned products? I have seen several negative reviews of the Congoleum product so have been leaning towards the Armstrong one even though it is more expensive. Would love to hear your input! Thank you.

Comments (3)

• pudge_33
    10 years ago

I hope you have not purchased DuraCeramic. I had it installed 7 yrs ago in my kitchen and foyer and it looks like absolute crap!!!! I have so many chips and scratches in the floor that it looks dirty all the time. I've had people from the company out and 3rd party companies come out and Congoleum has not responded. I've sent emails to them and they don't respond to that either. I'm currently looking to replace my kitchen/foyer floor because it disgusts and frustrates me to look at it. I have a piece of Alterna from Armstrong sitting in my kitchen currently to "test" it out. A local company gave me a sample to try out for the weekend. I laid it down last night and already this morning I managed to chip it. I dropped a piece of silverware on it and it chipped the tile. Exactly what happens to the Duraceramic. We are a family of four and I have 2 cats, I would not say we are overly abusive to our floors. Pretty average usage. I will continue my search for the "best" flooring. Good luck to you in your search for flooring.
    I've attached a picture of my flooring to show how badly it is chipped. I understand I use white and black tiles and they are not as forgiving but, I find this ridiculous.

• pam533
    10 years ago

Well, for what it's worth, I just got doing about five months of research on both products, talked to five flooring stores and basically drove myself crazy deciding between the two. I finally decided on the Alterna. Now I am trying to decide between two patterns, so going crazy again! The salespeople all seem to agree that they have less complains about the Alterna. That is why I a going with it. I, too, took a Duraceramic sample, scraped it just a little with a fork and got scratches. The same thing did not happen with the Alterna. I as told, though, that the tiles can be changed out if you keep some extra and accidents heppen. Just my two cents...

• Dustin_M
    10 years ago

The class action law firm Halunen & Associates is investigating Congoleum DuraCeramic floor tiles for a possible defective product lawsuit. We have received complaints that the product is chipping, flaking, cracking and prone to scratching. If you have purchased DuraCermaic floor tiles from Congoleum and are experiencing similar problems, please contact us at: http://consumer.halunenlaw.com/contact-us/ or call (612) 605-4098. [Advertising Material