Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amylauren_gw

anyone have experience with Pergo xp

amylauren
11 years ago

Hi. We are buying a new house-new to us-that is 30 years old. We need to lay new floors and was at Home Depot and looked at the Pergo xp line they carry. We have about 1700 square feet to cover plus stairs. Has anyone heard of this product or had experience with it? Thanks :)

Comments (28)

• gdeann
    11 years ago

We are having the performance XP installed next month. We chose this brand because of the durability a the reviews I found online. I believe it is one of the best laminate lines available. Good luck if you choose to go with it. Hopefully, we will be happy with our decision.

• maries1120
    11 years ago

I am looking at this too but a couple months away from being able to decide. The HD here is having a whole house install special. I looked at others but so far (if we go with laminate) this looked the best and seemed to be the most durable with the tests I put the samples through.

• gdeann
    11 years ago

Maries1120, we actually set a date for June 11th today. I'm hoping we made a wise choice. We ordered from HD but could not get the whole house special because the one we chose was aintett-stock laminate. I will keep you two updated to our experience with pergo.

• amylauren
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Please keep us posted-we are supposed to get the house at the end of July and I would love to hear what you think!It looks really nice in the store-

• maries1120
    11 years ago

gdeann - thanks. I look forward to hearing how it turns out and what you think. The on-line reviews of the product are good. Getting my hair cut last night and my stylist said she had laminate floors in the house before this and they were extremely durable and low maintenance but they had the hollow sound. I am hoping the thicker Pergo XP with the backing won't have that issue. We want to do the kitchen with the wood look and then thought about the slate look for the stairs (tri-level house) and hall if we do laminate (or hardwood) in the kitchen. Right now this area and the kitchen are all the same.

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

I saw some at HD about a wk ago and really liked it - but it's so thick it be much higher than the flooring into surrounding rooms.

• gdeann
    11 years ago

We had our flooring installed a few weeks ago and I am liking it more and more every day! No hollow sound when walking across it and I love the feel of it on bare feet. We had one box that was damaged, HD credited us for it. We also had one boars with a different color to it, not that noticable, but it bothers me. The installer said it was a milling issue, not sure why they installed it when we had plenty of product but they did. The installation through HD was okay...I guess maybe I expect more then we get now a days. They scratched my kitchen cabinets in several spots, but I can touchup. All in all, I am very happy with the product! We will probably use it for other rooms as well.

• amylauren
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What color did you get?

• BBGR
    10 years ago

I had Highland Hickory installed two months ago in our living room dining room to replace old Berber. I like the textured look of it and the cushioned feel -- it does not look or feel cheap. However, I am now trying to resolve a problem. In two spots the seam has "ruffled." I had Home Depot come check ir, and they said it was water damage. No windows or doors around, no leaks, no parties; just two senior citizens living here. The HD guy said this flooring is new, so it doesn't have a track record. He said my kitten walking on it with wet feet could be a cause -- kitten would have to leap over a rug first. No pet accidents, not even a hairball. Now the Pergo folks have sent me back to HD to file a claim. I would be very careful not to put this near an icemaker, a refig, an air conditioner or anything else that could put a drop or two of water on it. Xtreme Performance may only be for dent resistance.

• OregonLove
    10 years ago

We just had our Pergo XP laminate installed this week by Home Depot contractors. My husband watched the whole process. When I first saw it I thought the dull, dusty areas I saw were from installation dust (although they seemed to follow the shape of some of the planks perfectly.) I just used the Pergo floor cleaner the installer supplied to 'damp' mop the entire floor (with a swifter.) There are OBVIOUS differences in the finish of the laminate on various sections of the floor. About 60% of the planks have a soft shine and about 40% of them look old and dull. It almost looks like two different lots of flooring were used although all of the flooring was purchased and delivered on the same day per Home Depot's instructions. I am SO disappointed. I cannot recommend Pergo XP. Overall I also think it looks very cheap and fake. It is very obviously different from hardwood, which you cannot tell from looking at pictures of it on the web. Check out an installed floor before buying a laminate and MAKE SURE all of the boxes you receive have the same LOT number. (The installer threw away our empty boxes so who knows if all of ours came from the same lot.) I REGRET our choice only 2 days after installation. I will not be buying a laminate in the future.

• Sandy1326
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I had my Pergo installed in August 2015, I will never have laminate flooring put in again unless it has a waterproof element. You can not get any element of water/liquid near the seams, regardless of how long Pergo says you have, 30 minutes in the warranty, once in the seam, the floor will bubble and stay like that. You can not drop a ice cube, spill water, wear your rain coat into the house, have boots on after you have been out in the snow even after shaking them off, have your dog drop a water drop from their mouth. It is extremely frustrating after we have 30" of snow to keep wiping up the floor after the dogs would come in, and it did not help. I have contact Pergo, my claim was denied. Currently Home Depot is looking at the situation. The sample flooring and the actually floor are two difference pieces. I took a hammer and hit the sample as hard as I could, nothing happened, when hitting the actual piece of flooring, I put a dent in it the1st time. And thinking this can't be, used the other end of the board, same thing happen, dented. I put the sample in a glass of water and soaked it, expected it to explode. The sample dried out, and nothing!! The flooring itself a drop of water in the seam, an ice cube you chase across the floor, not good with any liquid. Extremely disappointed with the floor. No one can explain why the sample is different. I was told by Home Depot to put rugs down. I just torn up every rug on the 1st floor of my house. Would not recommend ever. As of March 2016, I am still having discussions and people come out from Home Depot. I wanted anyone who is serious about putting this flooring down, have an understanding of what they are dealing with and hope this helps.

• annieburke349
    7 years ago

Sandy, thank you for your review, it was very helpful to me. I did my entrance way with PergoXP with Haley Oak, about one year ago. So far, so good...(I would like to put it in kitchen/family room. I have reservations after reading your comment. I am sorry you had such a bad experience, it helps others when you share in a constructive way such as you did. Thank you! I will think of you in the coming weeks in hopes that you get a acceptable solution! Ann

• Tiffany Kodjoe-Chestnut
    7 years ago

I believe the company uses different materials for the sample and real flooring. I have laminate down currently that has been here for years. There are literally no seams. I cannot find the seams when trying to take it apart. I have some Pergo XP pieces in my house now, just testing for color. The seams on these are very noticeable and I can see how any liquid would sink down into the seams and ruin the floor. The floor I have down now always has water spilled on it. I bathe my dogs and they run all over it leaving water puddles everywhere. I had a portable a/c unit overflow and leave tons of water while I was at work. There was no damage to my current floor. I believe my current floor is by Quickstep, but am not positive. It was put in back in 2010 though, and things were made better back then. Seems everything today is made to only LOOK good, but function poorly. Do NOT give up on your fight with Pergo. File BBB and Attorney General complaints online. I do this frequently and it always seems to get companies to own up. Good luck!

• uRockme (Z4b)
    7 years ago

Glad I found this thread. We're also interested with Pergo but now have reservations after reading some of the comments. Those that already installed this floor, could you please post some photos of the floor? Thanks much!

• Gerald Walker
    7 years ago

Had Pergo XP installed by Home Depot a year ago. No animals or kids. Now the floor creaks when walked upon in the high traffic areas. HP sent installed out to look. Installer concluded all was ok and could not explain the creaking. HD has now escalated the case to Pergo. Based upon my readings about the product and Pergo, i am not confident that Pergo will man up and replace the floor. We are so unhappy that if Pergo does not replace it we will pursue this via the BBB, the Internet and thru governmental methods, eg. law suit, complain to Attorney 'General and anything else i can think of. FYI. My motto when i have a product problem is "step by step". Don't be in a rush. Do be patient and persistent.

• L
    7 years ago

Is it safe to assume that the people on this thread who have experienced damage from water purchased the flooring with the milled bevel? My dad has Pergo with a square edge (can't see individual plank edges) and he has not had a water problem. Lots of people coming in from outside, I've seen the floor wet many times.

So I'm considering buying Pergo for my own place, but want the beveled look. Their new "Outlast+" version has a pressed bevel instead of a milled bevel. They specifically market it as spillproof, so I'm thinking this is their way of solving the water issues. Thoughts?

• braytwhitney
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

We have the Pergo XP and it was installed last year. We live in the north east and after several feet of snow this winter and two dogs the for planks in front of the patio door (high traffic area) is all bowed and warped in between each seem. This is very disappointing because for maybe another 300 bucks i could have just had prefinished hardwood put down from lumber liquidators instead of the pergo xp from homedpot. The reason we went with the pergo over real hardwood was so that it would last longer with out having to be refinished. The down side to Pergo is now it needs to be replaced. Will never go with laminate again.

• liz29
    6 years ago

I'm sorry to hear that I've had no problems & would buy it again.

• gdeann
    6 years ago

We're 4.5 years with our Pergo, and we love it. We have it in high traffic areas and with kids/dogs.

• jlmoulton95
    6 years ago

Gdeann, Do you mind sharing what kind of Pergo you have installed? I am thinking of getting the Pergo XP.

• Jim
    5 years ago

We have had the Pergo XP (Extreme Performance) installed in our house for a few years now, and if I had to do it again, I would have used something else. In my opinion, the XP stands for Extremely Poor. The floor wasn't even installed a week, when a plastic cooler was slid across the floor when filling it to go on a trip, and it scratched the floor in multiple spots. Fixed it with their repair pen, but still quite noticeable.

Pergo's website claims: "Designed to withstand scratches, scuffs and pet accidents."

We also have pets and had a tinkle accident that we did not see until morning. The flooring had soaked it up and swelled and buckled, etc. We were able to fix with lots of paper towel and a stack of books to weigh it down, but still. We live in Montana, so a flooring product that more or less can't get wet seems a little useless. After all, we live where is snows, rains, etc.

Additionally, just 2 days ago I dropped a pair of pliers which chipped a chunk out of the floor. Really???? DANG!!!! That was the last straw.

What good is a flooring product that cannot get wet, drop things on, slide things across, etc. Hey Pergo - Life Happens. Next time I plan on putting flooring down in a "controlled environment bubble".... it still wouldn't be Pergo.

If you plan on wanting to live on and use the place you plan to put this product, I would have to suggest finding something else to use. This is the most "hands on" maintenance flooring I have ever had. Next project is probably going to be rip this s%@$ out and go with something a little more "life friendly"

• jnc4936
    5 years ago

Don’t buy any Pergo products. They are cheaply made and do not stand up to small water spilages. Just normal damp mopping can damage the floor.

Warrenty is no good. My pergo model flooring was discontinued after two years. They had none in stock. They told me i could go to lowes and try and find a pattern close to mine and i could use that to replace the damaged ones. Now that woul look like crap, don’t you think.

• HU-531605137
    5 years ago

Our Pergo XP was installed by Home Depot four years ago. At the end of year one, one chip occurred from a fallen knife, one at the back entrance to the kitchen, and two under the dining room table. Now the chips under the table cover a larger area with a number of new chips. In some areas the flooring is lifting up at the seams, which will lead to even more chips. I was sold this product as being not only the best for my application by the sturdiest and most long-lasting flooring. I believe that many of the problems were caused by the installation being too tight.
    Others were caused by the brittleness of either the surface material or the glue when used on a concrete foundation with a moisture barrier. I get nothing but compliments on the flooring, which I have throughout, and it looks beautiful where it is not chipped! I would get it fixed but I am afraid the same problems will keep occurring in other places. A caveat: We are talking about five years ago, the product may have improved. If you are installing this on a slab, you might want to ask if the problem I mentioned has been addressed.

• Sandra Shearer
    4 years ago

installed xp pergo 3 years ago(2016) in hallway, office, dining room and master bedroom....No Problem so far....we have a small dog that has a little potty problem...no problem....no scratches....no warping ...and are going to put it down in our family room. We absolutely love it.

• kfpeth
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

We put Pergo down in an addition/remodel 20+ years ago-it is in the kitchen, dining area, and down a hall way. We have raised 4 kids, have always had indoor medium sized dogs, we live near the water so any number of substances come through the door. After all these years, yes, it does have a couple nicks in the kitchen from knives dropping on it, but I'm guessing that I'm the only one that sees them. We even had a 90 gallon saltwater tank on it for about 3 years, had to change water out weekly so you can imagine that it had some spills on it-I would wipe it up after I was done and never had any issues. I would buy it again in a heart beat (actually in the process of choosing a color for the bedrooms now!)!

• Shannon James Burchett
    3 years ago

We had Pergo Outlast installed about 2 years ago. We were looking for a durable floor and from the commercial of a family having n.v g a ccx water fight with a faucet and a large great Dane, we thought this floor is for us. HD highly recommended it so we purchased it through them and they installed it. Within a few months we started getting puckering and later cupping in other areas. Nothing has ever sit on our floors over an hour. We have a special needs son who sometimes drops his drink. Mohawk will not fix the flooring. Very disappointed and upset that false advertise this flooring.

• Stephanie Solyon
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Purchased XP in 2018 and installed by HDepot. I just filed a claim as it is not holding up. It looks cheap. Raised seems - even if ice is left on the floor for a few mins. Anyone filed a claim? Please let me know that went. If its worthless, id like to know now!! TY

Sponsored
Jennifer Gilmer Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Team | 11x Best of Houzz