Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thinking about using 18" square tile in kitchen

Posted by suel41452 (My Page) on
Fri, May 9, 14 at 11:22

Tiling a 8x12' kitchen soon, and wondering if you all think 18" square tiles would be too large for such a small area?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thinking about using 18" square tile in kitchen

Actually very popular in small areas. Make sure the floor is very solid and very flat....the larger the tile the more critical "flat" will be.

o

Well, our house - built in early 70's - probably is not flat at all! Guess I'll get installer to check flatness b4 buying tile. Maybe I can check that with a big level?

o

We used 18" x 18" porcelain tiles in our small kitchen (11' x 11'). I like the look and fewer grout lines.

photo 100_2098.jpg

photo 100_1957.jpg

o

Laurie - your floor looks great with 18" tiles! I think they would work in mine, unless my floor is not flat enough.

o

Thanks! I forgot to mention that we installed this tile on top of the existing sheet vinyl/linoleum. The vinyl was firmly adhered to the concrete sub floor. We used a stripper/cleanser product on the vinyl before starting this process.

o

Suel1452, if the floor is not flat, a good contractor can level it for you before installing the tile. So before buying finding a good contractor. I love Laurie's floor in her kitchen so much and her flooring in the rest of the house.

o

Large format tile is a good choice for your kitchen. My experience with installing large format tile in many kitchens convinced me long ago that the assumption that large patterns in small kitchens don't work *visually* was a preconceived notion.

o

Thanks for all the feedback! I like the idea of fewer grout lines, too with 18" tile. I've been given the name of a really good contractor, so hopefully he can make it happen.

o

If you are not on slab, be sure to have him check the "Deflection." Minimum is L360.

Yes, use a long level or straightedge. TCNA specs call for flatness deviation of no more than 1/8" over, (as I recall,) 6 feet.

o

Interesting, stone tech. The floor is not on concrete, has plywood under the vinyl flooring.

o

With standard bracing (Again, use the "Deflecto" from John Bridge dot com) You generally need an inch and an eighth for a substantial floor. You probably ought to get rid of the vinal as well....the adhesion is ONLY as good as what's underneath it.

o

Plan definitely to get rid of the vinyl! But don't know anything about standard bracing. Is that like putting down ditra?

o

Ditra is an excellent "isolation membrane" but it doesn't address the issue of "deflection." Again, go to John Bridge dot com and plug your figures into the "deflecto" at the top of the blue bar in the "forums" section to see if your floor qualifies.

You can also start your own thread there, if you like.

o

ok, thanks

o

We have 18x 18 tile in our smallish kitchen and I'm happy with the look. We removed the previous vinyl flooring, put down backer board, and used a leveling agent, but still ended up with hairline cracks across some of the tile (about 8 years after installation). I probably wouldn't use large tile again for that reason.

o

Thanks for that info, nansea57 ! I think I better stick with 12" squares, our floor is pretty uneven.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here