Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suel41452

Thinking about using 18" square tile in kitchen

suel41452
9 years ago

Tiling a 8x12' kitchen soon, and wondering if you all think 18" square tiles would be too large for such a small area?

Comments (16)

• StoneTech
    9 years ago

Actually very popular in small areas. Make sure the floor is very solid and very flat....the larger the tile the more critical "flat" will be.

• suel41452
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, our house - built in early 70's - probably is not flat at all! Guess I'll get installer to check flatness b4 buying tile. Maybe I can check that with a big level?

• suel41452
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Laurie - your floor looks great with 18" tiles! I think they would work in mine, unless my floor is not flat enough.

• Laurie
    9 years ago

Thanks! I forgot to mention that we installed this tile on top of the existing sheet vinyl/linoleum. The vinyl was firmly adhered to the concrete sub floor. We used a stripper/cleanser product on the vinyl before starting this process.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Suel1452, if the floor is not flat, a good contractor can level it for you before installing the tile. So before buying finding a good contractor. I love Laurie's floor in her kitchen so much and her flooring in the rest of the house.

• glennsfc
    9 years ago

Large format tile is a good choice for your kitchen. My experience with installing large format tile in many kitchens convinced me long ago that the assumption that large patterns in small kitchens don't work *visually* was a preconceived notion.

• suel41452
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback! I like the idea of fewer grout lines, too with 18" tile. I've been given the name of a really good contractor, so hopefully he can make it happen.

• StoneTech
    9 years ago

If you are not on slab, be sure to have him check the "Deflection." Minimum is L360.

Yes, use a long level or straightedge. TCNA specs call for flatness deviation of no more than 1/8" over, (as I recall,) 6 feet.

• suel41452
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Interesting, stone tech. The floor is not on concrete, has plywood under the vinyl flooring.

• StoneTech
    9 years ago

With standard bracing (Again, use the "Deflecto" from John Bridge dot com) You generally need an inch and an eighth for a substantial floor. You probably ought to get rid of the vinal as well....the adhesion is ONLY as good as what's underneath it.

• suel41452
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Plan definitely to get rid of the vinyl! But don't know anything about standard bracing. Is that like putting down ditra?

• StoneTech
    9 years ago

Ditra is an excellent "isolation membrane" but it doesn't address the issue of "deflection." Again, go to John Bridge dot com and plug your figures into the "deflecto" at the top of the blue bar in the "forums" section to see if your floor qualifies.

You can also start your own thread there, if you like.

• suel41452
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ok, thanks

• nansea
    9 years ago

We have 18x 18 tile in our smallish kitchen and I'm happy with the look. We removed the previous vinyl flooring, put down backer board, and used a leveling agent, but still ended up with hairline cracks across some of the tile (about 8 years after installation). I probably wouldn't use large tile again for that reason.

• suel41452
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for that info, nansea57 ! I think I better stick with 12" squares, our floor is pretty uneven.