Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Edger left white hazy/cloud after sanding

Posted by Bster13 (My Page) on
Sat, May 26, 12 at 11:11

Hello All,

New homeowner here trying to DIY my floors.

I used my Porter Cable random orbital hand sander w/ a rented U-Sand Pro: (http://www.u-sand.com/u-sand/professional-sander.aspx)

I started w/ 40 grit U-Sand and then used the Porter Cable w/ a 40 grit to do the edges. At times I really had to work at the edges, even turning my Porter Cable at an angle to the floor to concentrate on tough problem area right near where the quarter round will go.

I then used 60 grit w/ the U-Sand all the way around..... the U-Sand gets right up on the edges, unlike a drum sander.

Next was 100 grit w/ the U-Sand including baseboard areas.

And finally 100/120 foam-backed finishing pad w/ the U-Sand all the way around including the baseboard areas.

I noticed white/hazy/cloudy marks on a lot of the baseboard areas. Here are photos of the flooring meeting up with the stone fireplace:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8970927@N04

This area was especially tough as I had to be very controlled in walking the Porter Cable hand sander up to the stone so as not to mark up the stone itself, but get the old finish off. I definitely angled the hand sander here a lot for extra control. This was all done with the 40-grit and then with the U-Sand went over this area including all of the rest of the floor with the higher grits.

So I figured I just didn't take enough time to get out the 40-grit marks on the baseboards. Last night I put on 150-grit paper on my Porter Cable hand sander and it made it worse....it just seemed to extend out the white haze ("photo 1 (3)").

Any suggestions? This 1030 sq. ft. is kicking this newbie's butt!

Here is a link that might be useful: Flickr Photos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Edger left white hazy/cloud after sanding

So i checked out your pictures. I dont think you have anything to be concerned about. Palm sanders and leave those marks.

Do this and this should prove me right.
Take a little finish and apply it over the areas in question. If you cant see it then im right.

Also i wouls suggest you screen the entire floor once all sanding is done. That extra step will take out the hazy too.
The hazy just comes from different styles of grinding. I.e. Rotary vs drum. The screening helps blend the two together.

Also kudos for tackling 1000sq ft for a newbie. When i first started sanding over 10 yrs ago i thought 300 was never going to end!

o

The haze is residual finish. If you are doing a straight oil base urethane your probably alright, If your staining or using a waterbased product to finish you will need to sand it out. A palm sander is not the right tool, too light and not enough power, an edger is. Then follow with a palm sander if staining to blend the two machine types sanding patterns together.

o

I think the haze is roughness from the 40 grit; it needs to be blended back to the field; You ordinarily can't go from 40 grit to 150. Maybe to 80, then 100.
Figure that the u-sand has a very different orbit than your hand-held, and see what grit it takes to blend the edge into the field.
You want it smooth like a piano ;-)
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here