Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pandaroux

Reinstalling floating floors that have huge gaps

Jen K.
9 years ago

We moved into an apartment with newly-installed floating hardwood floors back in December. There is one very long hallway where the flooring runs along the hallway's length. Close to the midpoint of the hallway, there are gaps between the floorboards along the short side of the board. In fact, each row has just one spot where there is a gap, everywhere else, the floorboards sit nice and tight against each other. The gaps are all right around each other in front of the foyer so unfortunately, they are really noticeable. The gaps were as large as 1/2" wide in February, but have since contracted to 1/8". We bought from a developer and his contractor has already agreed to reinstall the flooring. I expect they will just reinstall the floors the same way as before, unless I give them a particular suggestion on how to address the gaps issue. Does anyone have any ideas?

FYI I expect that they will tear up and replace the floorboards from right around where the gaps are to one end of the hallway, so not the entire length, unless I give them a compelling reason otherwise. The floors are floated over a cork underlayment and concrete subfloor. I was told floating floors should not be glued down BUT I have seen these contractors use adhesive in spots where the floors were especially bouncy. Would glue help at all? Other apartments in our building have the same issue, but the gaps appear in different places, even in the identical layout.

Any advice would be really appreciated!!!

Comments (2)