Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hwhl

Trouble with hardwood floors - please help!

hwhl
10 years ago

Hello,

Let me just say first that I love this forum and I thank all of you here for the expert advise. Here is my problem. I am redoing the floors in my house. The first floor had prefinished hardwood floors, which started to wear out, and the second floor had carpet. The contractor assured me that a prefinished floor can be sanded and refinished and will look great. He also put in a new hardwood floor upstairs. Well, when I got to the house to check what they've done, I was in a complete shock. The floors came out splotchy and there is so much color variations that it looks horrible (I'm including the picture). Both the contractor and I are completely baffled and are wondering if the floor guy scammed him. Here are my questions:

1) Why did the prefinished floor look beautiful and even and now it looks uneven and splotchy and totally different colored? By the way, both floors look exactly the same now.

2) Upstairs he was supposed to put what he called a "#2" oak. Now he's saying that the floor guy scammed him and probably put a "#3" oak which is a lower grade material. How can we tell?

3) We're moving in in 10 days so I guess putting in an unfinished floor and finishing it with stain and oil-based finish is not an option because we don't have enough time. What are my options? I wanted to go with an engineered hardwood, but the contractor is saying that the subfloor is weak and I have to go with 3/4 oak to make it stronger...

4) What is the difference between engineered hardwood and prefinished hardwood in terms of refinishing. I know that engineered can be refinished only once but the big question is will it come out the same as this prefinished floor came out? And is there a prefinished floor that can be sanded and stained and will come out good?

Thank you very much for any help - I just don't trust these guys anymore and I need to make a decision quickly otherwise I will have to pay for storage and moving twice...

Sandy.

Comments (6)

• User
    10 years ago

Did you not stain the floor at all? When you have a floor that's "very even" in tone, it's usually been stained a darker color to mask the natural color variation. Or else you're paying for some VERY high quality wood. No #2. I personally LIKE what you have there, as it's what an oak floor is supposed to look like.

1. Stained vs. unstained and natural and normal variation in the wood tone.

2. #3 would have a LOT more knots than that.

3. BS alert. If the subfloor is weak, the solution is to beef up the joists and the subfloor, not to install 3/4" wood. If the subfloor is weak, your whole home has an issue that thicker floors won't address. Ever.

4. There isn't any difference at all between sanding and staining a prefinished vs. a site finished wood. As long as the top layer is thick enough, engineered wood can also be refinished multiple times. Of course, the cheap prefinished wood comes with a very thin top layer that can't even be refinished once. The more money you spend, the thicker that top layer will be and the more ply's make up the base. The only way to know how thick your top layer is is to examine a scrap or to look at an edge near a floor vent etc.

I think the big issue here is your expectations, not the work that was done. If you wanted a uniform color to the floor, then a lower grade of oak should never have been you choice in the first place. And if finances dictated that lower grade choice, your finisher should have shown you several choices in stain color that could helpto even out the natural variation of the wood (NOT erase it). If you wanted no stain, then you got what you asked for. If you wanted a stained floor, then your flooring pro should have made suggestions based on the look that you showed him from exemplars (magazine pics, Houzz shots, this website and others). And then he should have done a few test patches for you to let you choose. All but the darkest would have had the natural variation, but it would have been minimized a bit more with a stain.

I think your floor looks pretty darn nice, actually. Maybe just try to live with it? If you really really hate it though, you're going to have to bear the cost of the material replacement. For a whole home, that will not be cheap. $7-$10 a square foot on average for a good quality prefinished floor and it's install.

• hwhl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hollysprings - this floor is stained... They never told me that they were going to use a #2 oak or explained that there are different grades. I had no idea it would be so splotchy... whereas before it was a uniform color and the stain was almost the same color - medium oak. Here is the before picture. By the way, can engineered or prefinished hardwood be buffed and refinished?

• albabbie
    10 years ago

Hi there,

Although I am no wood-flooring expert, I think the issue was the 'ease' of which your contractor thought he could refinish the floor. It can be a gamble, depending on how the original floor was finished and treated. Reference the URL below...

Here is a link that might be useful: Refinishing prefinished floors

• glennsfc
    10 years ago

Is the picture of the finished floor the new oak floor? I think it is stunning; maybe not what you expected, but it has a beauty all its own. I recently finished a similar floor for a customer, and it came out looking like yours and they are very pleased with the result, but that is what they wanted.

The question concerning the prefinished floor that came out equally vivid can be explained:

Sometimes manufacturers of prefinished flooring will use whatever raw material they can get to make a product. It is in the factory where they apply the coloring media and finishes to get the effect they want. Many times the finishes contain the colorant, so they mask the character of the underlying wood. Then, when it comes time to resand and refinish the flooring, the true character that was masked by the factory applied coatings is revealed.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

#3 flooring will provide a "serviceable floor" by grade rules. Which basically means you can walk on it without falling through. It is allowed to have missing knots up to I believe (if I remember correctly) the size of a quarter without much of a limit to quantity,

• GreenDesigns
    10 years ago

That's a pretty nice looking floor, despite your not liking it.. No, it's not #3. It's got a goodly amount of color variation, but no knots.