Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best hardwood floor with DOGS

Posted by 3labs (My Page) on
Fri, May 3, 13 at 10:01

We are putting hardwood flooring through out our home. We have 2 labs and a third on the way. I want very dark but uncertain as to what type will be the best and show the least marks from the dogs. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best hardwood floor with DOGS

Keep nails clipped and filed smooth.

The nail cutters all leave very sharp edges.

Use a doggy nail file to resound every nail after clipping them.

o

A medium color with a prominent grain like an oak. Dark will show everything. A less prominent grain like a maple will show everything. Glossier will show everything. A dark shiny floor with not much grain like a jatoba will look like you have a 4th dog from all of the hair that will stand out on it. Not to mention the doggy and people footprints that show on dark and glossy.

o

We installed natural hickory a year ago & have 2 40 lb dogs. Unfortunately one now has a brain tumor & slides all around. All I can say is thankfully we have a light patterned floor. There are many scratches, especially in the kitchen, but overall you don't notice them, although I know where there are! The light color does not show hair, even though I sweep up a little ball everyday. Probably not what you want, but just telling my experience.

o

I can't say for sure what is best, but I can say that we have unstained semi-gloss red oak floors that have lived through three big dogs (one at a time, though) and as much as 20 years and still look fine. The current 80 pound doodle loves to run and make skidding corners around, through, and over everything. Scratches just don't show. Dirt and dust show relatively little.
But drifts of black fur (she is unfortunately a shedding doodle) are another story.

I think any stained floor, especially if the stain was significantly different from the natural color, would present problems eventually.

I posted pics of the floor under the pegged oak thread below. I know this isn't the look you want, but it is darn near dog proof!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pegged oak floors

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here