Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mar880_gw

Uneven vinyl subfloor?

mar880
10 years ago

Hi,

I've been trying to find the answer to my question and have seen other threads started by people with similar issues, but haven't found something that addresses my exact issue, so I hope someone can help.

Our house has tons of old vinyl on the floors. It looks like the previous owner would just stick tiles on top of tiles. We want to install a floating engineered wood floor, but we don't want to take up the vinyl because we're pretty sure there is asbestos linoleum underneath, on the bottom layer. The floor is very uneven, especially in the kitchen where the tiles were put in after the cabinets, which means that there is a gap of about an inch and a half from where the cabinets used to be and rest of the kitchen.

My question is, what are our options? The filler products say only use for 1/2 inch or less variations. We've heard mixed opinions on whether a self leveler will work. Getting someone in to do asbestos remediation for that whole area is completely out of our budget. I've seen people refer to just pouring new concrete over existing flooring, but i dont know if that is a good idea, either. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!