Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using small rectified tile on shower floor

Posted by spen112 (My Page) on
Wed, May 9, 12 at 8:11

I am thinking of having 2", or 2x4" rectified tiles installed on our new shower floor. We will have matching 12x24" rectified tiles on the rest of the master bath floor. I chose rectified because of the minimal grout lines, for the clean look and less grout and maintenance. Does anyone know if the minimal grout around the 2" tiles in the shower will make the shower floor slippery? I believe 4" tiles are the maximum size usually used for safety on a shower floor.

We previously considered light green sliced/flat river stones on the shower floor for a natural look, but I decided against it. There would be a lot of grout and the stones have to be resealed every couple of years, and these are both ongoing maintenance issues that I can cut down on by using small tiles.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using small rectified tile on shower floor

I would always reccomend that rubber floors should be used in the shower. I simply wouldn't take any risks.

o

The grout creates less of a slippery surface area so by using that tile, there is the potential for an unsafe shower floor. There are products that can remedy that by spraying on a clear liquid which acts as an invisible non-slip surface.

So if you do decide to go with that tile, definitely looking into non-slip options.

o

Grout has nothing at all to do with it. Its the CoF (coefficient of friction) of the tile surface you need to be concerned about. There are abrasives that MAY be able to be applied successfully, suspended in a clear sealer to increase COF of the surface. Alternately you can select a tile with a higher CoF (rougher surface).

Here is a link that might be useful: CoF testing and mitigation video (product specific - demonstration purposes only)

o

I asked the same question to our tiler about using 2" mosaic rectified tiles on the shower floor. Here is his response:

If the finish of the tile is of a honed or textured type of surface it will have good slip resistance for shower floor use.

Does anyone know if epoxy grout, sanded or unsanded grout is best on the shower floor for grip and for durability of the grout over the long haul?

o

Sanded grout for all my showers...holds up better and more "traction."

Epoxy grout can be used and is bulletproof but a bit harder to install. QuartzLock is a urethane grout and my favorite for shower floors, and it has texture.

o

Thanks, all, for the response. Lazarususa thanks for the information on QuartzLock. I will ask the tiler about it vs. sanded grout. It looks like QuartzLock is harder to install because it dries very quickly and needs to be wiped immediately. We'll see what he suggests.

Mainly I want to be sure the shower floor is not slippery but I don't want to apply a spray non-slip product. I would like the small 2" tile and grout to do the job. Even though the small tiles will have a narrow grout line because they are rectified tiles, my tiler said the surface of the tile is what's important. They are matte porcelain tiles, not a glossy surface. Between the matte surface and the grout every 2" it should hopefully have enough grip when wet!

o

You might try Dal Tile for the Quartzlock. It does have a sanded quality to it...and that's good for your application. Actually, quite easy to install~just do a couple of sq. ft. at a time and clean as you go with a well wrung-out sponge. Holds true colour quite well and never requires sealing.

Only "downside" is that it should be left alone and see no water for 7 days. After that, it's bulletproof.

Here is a link that might be useful: Demo Video

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here