Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is wire brushed hardwood just a trend?

Posted by oliversmum (My Page) on
Tue, May 13, 14 at 7:56

We are trying to decide between Mullican Muirfield Natural/Select hickory solid flooring or the stained Williamsburg wire brushed option. I understand that wire brushed floors have already had the 'soft' wood removed so I'm curious about refinishing them. I believe w/ sanding, they'll lose some/all of the texture, but I saw on ask.com that they can't be refinished as often or as easily. Anyone have experience w/ this?

Secondly, I'm not a fan at all of the supposedly handscraped floors out there because they all look very uniform to me. Would wire brush look the same when installed over 400 square feet of space?

Lastly, anyone have any opinions about wire brushing as just one of the latest trends? I've seen more about wire brush finishes (and oil finishes) than I've ever seen before. It seems like it could just be popular because it's something different just now, but hasn't really been tested (at least in pre-finished versions) over time.

I welcome any and all opinions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is wire brushed hardwood just a trend?

Everything is a trend. Especially when you pick something "fashionable". 2 1/2" strip oak isn't a trend, and it's never gone away either.

o
RE: Is wire brushed hardwood just a trend?

Wire brushing is fine the way I look at it, especially if the house's architectural design works well with brushed wood. Handscaped however is another matter entirely; few factory produced SKUs look authentic...with the majority looking mostly phony... In my humble opinion.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here