Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Minwax Espresso #273

Posted by oicu812 (My Page) on
Sat, May 24, 14 at 6:11

I was picking up some stain samples the other day and happened to see on the shelf a few different Minwax colors that aren't on their color chart, or even on their website. Are these new colors, discontinued colors, or what? I only remember Espresso, Weathered Oak, and a Gray, but there some others.

Anyone know anything about these? Is minwax just bad at marketing that new colors would appear without any corresponding info on the web, or a press release or anything? I suspect that they're discontinued colors, which is why there's no mention of them.

I'm particularly interested in Espresso. We're looking for a dark brown. Darker than Jacobean, but a bit lighter than Ebony.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Minwax Espresso #273

Other company releases their new product without corresponding announcement or advertisement. It has happened when they want to test if that their product is salable or not. They can phase-out that item anytime.

o

I'm curious what you were able to find out. I can't seem to tell the difference between Espresso and Jacobean on Red Oak...

o

It's still Minwax. Who cares? Same crappy quality as the rest of it. Go to a real paint store or woodworkers store and buy decent quality products.

o

I've made samples of the other two colors but not Espresso. You might not see a difference on a smaller sample that would be evident on a whole floor or piece of furniture. I'm guessing that this is between Jacobean and Ebony and maybe a bit less red that Jacobean.

PS There's nothing wrong with the quality of Minwax stain in my experience.

o

For closure's sake, I spoke with Minwax. Espresso is a color offered only at Home Depot. It is Minwax's second darkest color. The most dark is Ebony. I plan on using Dark Walnut.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here