Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sun faded hardwood - need help badly!

Posted by gayled (My Page) on
Sun, May 1, 11 at 3:41

We have red oak flooring with area rugs in several rooms. The areas under the rugs are a different color due to sun exposure. The house is only 8 years old and the floors are in excellent condition. We're putting the house on the market and would like a quick, painless fix if it exists.
Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sun faded hardwood - need help badly!

No "quick, painless fix" exists.

If the discoloration is in the finish it can be refinished, if it is on the wood itself it can get very difficult to repair (think selective staining).

o

Is your floor stained or natural? A color change with sun exposure is normal; it'll all even out over the next few months after the rugs are gone. Ours does the same thing when we change out area rugs (it's unstained red oak). No big deal, it'll be fine. Disclaimer: if the floor is discolored from moisture damage under the rug, or if it's stained and the stain has done something odd, then that is beyond my knowledge and would probably be a bigger job.

Your quick painless fix would be to put the rugs back while the house is on the market and then explain things to the buyers.

o

north carolina & brickeyee - thanks for responding. My floors are unstained red oak with no water/moisture damage. Overall they're in great condition.

We just had a pre-sale inspection in preparation for putting our house on the market. I had the home inspector take a look at the floors and he said exactly the same thing as northcarolina. No problem - it will even itself out in time. Whew...I sure do not want to go through the expense of having the floors re-done, not to mention the disruption!

Thanks again for responding - I appreciate it.

o

I know this is an old post, but I'm having this problem and I've been researching and found some posts where people are using a UVB light to fade the areas formerly covered by rugs to even out the color. I've read that the high output UVB lights used in terrariums for some desert reptiles helps achieve this. Has anyone here tried this? Thanks for your experience or thoughts...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here