Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2' oak strip flooring - nail size?

Posted by beers (My Page) on
Fri, May 28, 10 at 1:12

I'm installing face nailed red oak strip flooring, 2" by 5/16". I've read that 15 gauge nails are the best size, but I already own a 16 gauge nailer - will 16 gauge 1 1/2" or 2" nails be strong enough? Especially with it being a 5/16" instead of a 3/4" floor?

The planks are being nailed on a 2x6 T&G subfloor on 4' beams. Nails put in every 7".

Thanks,
Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2' oak strip flooring - nail size?

Why are you going to face nail narrow strip flooring?

It often leads to splitting as the wood swells and shrink throughout the year with changes in humidity.

Only one edge of T&G flooring is fastened leaving the wood free to move.

Face nailing is not going to stop the movement.

o

I'm face nailing to both match the rest of the oak flooring in the house (which is all 2" and face nailed) and since the 5/16" strip flooring isn't T&G, just straight planks.

I'm just wondering if the 16 gauge nails would be fine or should I rent a 15 gauge nailer.

o

15 ga is closer to a full head finish nail than the t-shaped heads on a 16 ga, so I'd use the 15, and try to adjust the depth so the drive pin doesn't go into the wood, because that makes for an ugly jagged hole.
It's an awful lot of nail holes to fill any way you go.
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here