Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaned oak floor with damp paper towels - worried?

Posted by pbx2 (My Page) on
Wed, May 8, 13 at 0:09

Our daughter threw ice cream all over our new builds red oak floor.
Instinctively, we cleaned it with wet paper towel. & dried it up right away with paper towels.

Now the area feels different from the rest of the floor. Almost squeaky clean vs. naturally worn (even if it's all new).

Also area feels like it retained some moisture from the clean up.

Do we need to be worried?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaned oak floor with damp paper towels - worried?

What finish is on the floor?

o

Polyurethane

o

If your floors are polyurethaned, give them a good mopping. There is probably still some "sticky" from the ice cream still on the floors or you actually cleaned the spot better than the rest of the floors.

My polyurethaned red oak floors get a good damp mopping with warm water and vinegar at least once a month (if I am lucky). Take my word for it, a little water will not hurt polyurethane.

o

Thanks tuesday_2008 for the feedback.
I just let out a big "whew!" :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here