Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aggregate flooring and tiling over

Posted by SusieG123 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 22:53

We live in California where pebbletec (aggregate) is actually used indoors. I have it in my hallway, bath and laundry rooms. We had it installed about 7 or so years ago and now I am tired of it. It's installed on a cement foundation/floor. I want to install porcelain tiles over it. My installer says no problem as long as I have it cleaned and then he will check for loose rocks and cracks. Does anyone agree/disagree or have any experience with this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aggregate flooring and tiling over

I will be interested in hearing about this, but how do you keep a floor like that clean?

o

Not familiar with that. Is it cement based or resin based? If the former, and it's adhering well, I don't see a problem with putting tile over it, as long as you are OK with redoing your baseboard trim. It will add about 3/4" height if you go with 3/8 tile and 3/8 thinset.. That's assuming that the floor is level.

If it's epoxy based, I'd have a lot more concerns about the thinset adhering to it. I'd probably want it removed first.

o

I believe it's resin/epoxy based. I don't really know if the installer has put tile over pebbletec before. He seems to thinks it's no big deal. And he talks like he's done it before. I'll have to ask him. It's much too expensive to have it removed. And much too hard to remove it ourselves. I just don't want it coming apart later on down the road.

o

A good tile person will know if the substrate is OK to install porcelain over. If the aggregate flooring is resilient, I would worry about that some and would investigate that with experts.

o

Since it can be hard to know if you've got a knowledgeable/skilled enough tile man, check over on john bridge tile forums which is a pro-based and run site. At least one pro will address your issue and they are well-studied and experienced sticklers about their trade. They don't take chances with installs. What an expensive mess this one would be if it fails. And they do.

Please report back if you do so this thread is complete.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 19:35

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here