Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susieg123

Aggregate flooring and tiling over

SusieG123
9 years ago

We live in California where pebbletec (aggregate) is actually used indoors. I have it in my hallway, bath and laundry rooms. We had it installed about 7 or so years ago and now I am tired of it. It's installed on a cement foundation/floor. I want to install porcelain tiles over it. My installer says no problem as long as I have it cleaned and then he will check for loose rocks and cracks. Does anyone agree/disagree or have any experience with this?

Comments (6)

• Vertise
    9 years ago

I will be interested in hearing about this, but how do you keep a floor like that clean?

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Not familiar with that. Is it cement based or resin based? If the former, and it's adhering well, I don't see a problem with putting tile over it, as long as you are OK with redoing your baseboard trim. It will add about 3/4" height if you go with 3/8 tile and 3/8 thinset.. That's assuming that the floor is level.

If it's epoxy based, I'd have a lot more concerns about the thinset adhering to it. I'd probably want it removed first.

• SusieG123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I believe it's resin/epoxy based. I don't really know if the installer has put tile over pebbletec before. He seems to thinks it's no big deal. And he talks like he's done it before. I'll have to ask him. It's much too expensive to have it removed. And much too hard to remove it ourselves. I just don't want it coming apart later on down the road.

• glennsfc
    9 years ago

A good tile person will know if the substrate is OK to install porcelain over. If the aggregate flooring is resilient, I would worry about that some and would investigate that with experts.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

Since it can be hard to know if you've got a knowledgeable/skilled enough tile man, check over on john bridge tile forums which is a pro-based and run site. At least one pro will address your issue and they are well-studied and experienced sticklers about their trade. They don't take chances with installs. What an expensive mess this one would be if it fails. And they do.

Please report back if you do so this thread is complete.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 19:35

• ebranch9
    2 years ago

did you end up moving forward with this project? we have aggregate flooring in our kitchen that i desperately want to change or cover. if covering worked, it would be great to know to save some cash! thank you