Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catharine442

Opinions wanted: non-matching adjacent wood floors.

Catharine442
9 years ago

Hi,

I would so appreciate some opinions on this.
I'm new to kitchen design and am renovating my kitchen which is about six inches above the sunken living room and there will be a 6.5 foot opening to the living room and a 42" passageway into the dining room on the other side.
After reading a thread on GW about non-matching wood floors, I decided I also thought it would be nice to have the kitchen floor darkish since it's a white kitchen.
I have light-ish bamboo floors in the DR and the LR and I don't want to have it in the kitchen. (I also have it in our bedroom which opens off of the kitchen too.)
I was originally thinking of light travertine stone (it is currently ceramic tile) but I thought it sure would be nice to have something easier on the legs.
The problem is how to pick a wood floor that will not clash with the adjacent bamboo. At the bottom of this post is a picture showing the bamboo floors next to some stone samples I was looking at.
My kitchen will be white shaker in-set cabinets with carrara counters.
Do you think a big enough contrast (pretty dark stain along side the lightish bamboo) would make it work?
Thanks!

Comments (3)