Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How NOT to sand too much

Posted by jlackey (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 22:34

Any resources out there for someone wanting to delicately refinish a floor without taking sanding a huge swath of wood off?

I'm afraid our floors don't have much wood left.

This post was edited by jlackey on Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 10:11

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How NOT to sand too much

Do you have any vent opening in your floor?

Or can you see any nails heads or anything shiney between boards?

If you cant see any theres a good chance you still have enough meat on the floor to do a sand.

The biggest concern is running a drum sander. Without proper handling and experience it literally can take a split second to ruin the floor.

If you plan on renting one i suggest to see if you can practice or get some one on one training before hand.

Biggest tip i can give you is whenever the sand paper is within contact of wood. Always keep it moving. Never let it just sit.

o

Good call on the floor vent!

After looking a little closer at my floors, I've come to realize there may be more meat left than I initially thought. I'm going to bring a pro in to give me an estimate before I do anything.

o

Good idea to bring in a professional to give an estimate. But if your only intention for doing so is to get guidance from the professional for a DIY refinish, then be upfront about it and pay for the consultation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here