Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardwood over existing hardwood

Posted by RERodgers1980 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 13, 11 at 22:00

Is it advisable to install solid hardwood over an existing hardwood floor? We were planning on gluing down engineered floor (opposite direction) over the floor, but like some of the solid floors better. If it is ok to install solid hardwood does it have to be nailed (would buy max 1/2" thick).
I have searched the flooring forums and haven't been able to find an answer. Any advice or experience you can provide would be appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardwood over existing hardwood

Simple answer; don't install over old floor, for more reasons than I have time to tell you. TAKE UP THE OLD FLOOR!

o

We installed hardwood over existing hardwood going in the same direction - although there was no subfloor, so pulling it up wasnt really an option. No problems at all.

o

"We installed hardwood over existing hardwood going in the same direction - although there was no subfloor, so pulling it up wasnt really an option. No problems at all."

You had no subfloor? The hardwood was nailed every 16" directly to the joists? Did you do the work or did some contractor convince you that this was the situation? I Have not seen that in 40 years of remodeling old homes and will probably never see it. As I said before, TAKE UP THE OLD FLOOR!

o

Thank you both for your replies. Without going into too much detail, would you expect a problem with expansion or moisture or other issues?

o

TAKE UP THE OLD FLOOR! Expansion problem: probably. Moisture problem: most likely. Nailing problem: absolutely.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here