Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruth_mi_gw

Glitsa over Glitsa (Swedish)

Ruth_MI
10 years ago

I have 30-year-old red oak floors with their original Glitsa finish. It used to be that I just had a couple worn spots where the kids' stools scraped constantly in the kitchen. But now I have a number of high-traffic areas where the finish is worn and there's some spotty graying to the wood.

I tested an area and could easily spot-sand and lightly stain. The color would then be fine to me, but the floors would still need a new protective finish.

I had one company give me a quote and he said they'd have to sand them all down. But his reasoning was that "if you'd gotten any kitchen oil or anything similar on them over the years it would affect the finish."

I have a hard time believing that's a reason and they couldn't just be cleaned well and then re-coated. UNLESS, of course, you can't put a Glitsa finish over an old Glitsa finish, but he didn't say that. (The floors are regularly cleaned with vinegar and water.)

I'd like to save the $ and hassle of sanding if possible. Does anyone have any input on this? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Comments (4)