Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmad122_gw

Going from 5lb. Pad to 6.5 a big difference?

jmad122
13 years ago

The builder is recommending us to upgrade-- for a price. Just asking the experts if there's a big difference???

TIA,

Jill

Comments (8)

• Floortech
    13 years ago

Well, this is a tougher question. In my mind no it isnt a big difference and the cost should not be either.You are in an area where stores begin to make money. The cost between the two's difference should be no more than 30 cents a yard wholesale interpreting out to maybe 54 cents a yard difference. Thats 6 cents a sq ft. If they are hitting you much higher than that, it's not worth it. a 6.5 lb Pad I have never even heard of but that doesent mean they dont make it. But it is not a significant upgrade, therefore it should not cost you much difference. At the most 10 cents a sq ft higher. Like I said, not much of an upgrade. Good luck

• jmad122
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the input. It's the builders design center that is recommending this. A 5lb. Is included, but for close to $1000, we can upgrade to 7/16 6.5 lb.

I'll have to figure out how much square footage we have in carpet to find the cost per yd.

I really appreciate your time and expertise. I hate feeling like a "woman at the car garage", if you know what I mean.
    Jill

• Floortech
    13 years ago

That is way way way way way too much money for that simple of an upgrade. No way. I do not know how many ft your home is,but that is way way way too much. Print this and show them this post. If they are both bonded pads, their cost difference is very little. Again a 5 lb standard is odd and a 6.5 lb is even odder. Most stores or builders standard is 6 LB and upgrade to an 8 LB. Normally they start to throw in anti microbial properties, but for a thousand difference for you...The store and if the builder is quoting the number to you are both making a premium at your expense. Good Luck.

• jmad122
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hmmmm. Thnaks sooo much! I'm going to take this with me on friday, and I'll post an update.
    Perhaps she calculated incorrectly? :-)

• jmad122
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hmmmm. Thnaks sooo much! I'm going to take this with me on friday, and I'll post an update.
    Perhaps she calculated incorrectly? :-)

• Floortech
    13 years ago

post how many sq ft of cushion it is being upgraded,
    Then exactly the difference in the 2 cushions. Then I'll tell you whether you are getting hammered. They are allowed to make money and should on upgrades....but pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. They need to be fair to you. Good Luck.

• jmad122
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We had our meeting today. Apparently, the builder has a contract with the flooring company. Their standard carpets are packaged with a 5lb. Pad. Any difference negates that deal. So, an upgrade to a better pad does not include a credit for the original 5lb. Pad.
    Hence, the price is for 3000square feet of pad without any credit.
    The designer admitted it was astronomical. I wish she would have mentioned this before.

Needless to say, we didn't go for it. I thank you for your time & your opinions!
    Jill

• Floortech
    13 years ago

Big house . Good Luck and you are doing the right thing.