Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maple Floors, Please chime in on stability

Posted by ratrem (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 26, 12 at 21:04

So we have our hearts set on Maple finished flooring for our remodel. We are on the 2nd and 3rd floor of a two family and have an open floor plan. To keep things light we wanted to go with Maple and my husband is not a big fan of the grain with oak.

We talked with the floor guy today and he said that maple can be less stable and we could have gaps in the winter from contracting. We don't want that. He mention quarter sawn white oak. We have had oak and pine in the past and wanted something different, but we want a stable floor minimal gaps. All the stability/hardness charts I have seen puts maple just a bit above the oaks.... Please tell me that he may have been wrong about maple and it is a fine floor to use.

We want to go with 3 1/4 width on site finished with Bona traffic, no stain.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maple Floors, Please chime in on stability

We planned on using clear grade from lumber liquidators.

o
RE: location

Sorry forgot to add we are in a Boston neighborhood

o
RE: Maple Floors, Please chime in on stability

A maple floor should actually not be any different with regard to its susceptibility to change (move) than white or red oak. But - how that wood is sawn CAN make a difference. Quarter sawn will tend to expand and contract less than plain sawn from the same species. As far as using maple for flooring - tens of thousands of school gym floors can't be wrong. You WILL (or you should plan on) getting gaps because solid wood flooring - any wood - does move. Using an engineered wood floor would give you a much better chance of achieving the "no gaps" goal as the plywood base layer provides inherent resistance to the normal humidity response movement shown by solid wood floors.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here