Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenny1963_gw

tile vs Amtico and various other LVT questions

jenny1963
9 years ago

Hi,
I'm considering putting down tile vs. Amtico or Armstrong Luxe or another LVT in our large finished basement where I see clients and also have a large family room, as well as a guest room. We are prone to flooding and although have done everything possible to eradicate the problem, it would be foolish to continue with carpeting as I have bad flood karma.

I've read of many lovers of Amtico, and other LVT as well as some strong detractors on this site, and was wondering how people felt since Amtico was purchased by Mannington (did the quality go down only then?)
Amtico is currently made in the U.S. and not in China.

I was going to use a woodgrain porcelain tile (like Dal's), but just discovered that the installation is much much cheaper with Amtico, and that it's essentially "bullet-proof." The rest of our house has natural hardwood, stained a medium-dark golden brown stain.

Also, it sounds like if we'd like to put heat mats under tile (in lieu of radiant heat as the concrete floors are already there without radiant heat,) we could, but could not do so under LVT; is that correct?

Thoughts?

Also, which colors look the most natural, or is it better to go with something that looks painted or stained?

Comments (6)

• StoneTech
    9 years ago

Correct, in-floor heating should be under tile, not vinyl.

Sure, real tile is going to cost more to install, but is less subject to water damage and will last virtually forever. Long term is cheaper, IMHO.

Pizza is cheaper than steak.....lol

• jenny1963
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, StoneTech! I thought Amtico (or other LVT) was not subject to water damage if you flood. Am I wrong?

• niteshadepromises
    9 years ago

LVT isn't as bulletproof as tile. It's definitely a big step up from carpet. LVT scratches but seems to be preferred for comfort reasons to tile. Second most to tile, i've read it stands up well to standing water on the surface.

• loves2read
    9 years ago

We bought house in Florida couple of years ago where sellers had installed Amtico LVT in the open living areas at front of house, down the hall, and in the master suite area...
    We love the type of flooring (LVT) and the choice for the master suite--not so crazy about the choice for the kitchen (gray tile 12x12) and a washed teak (has lot of red/yellow tones) in other open areas, according to the material left by sellers.

We can walk into house from the pool and drip water w/o having to worry about drying it right away (although we try to drip/dry first)..flooring is not too slippery although the kitchen tiles are more slippery than the vinyl plank IMO...Have a min schnauzer and have noticed no dog scratches on the LVT from her walking/running...

No issues with seams lifting or fading--although we have covered patio and plantation shutters on front windows so not lot of direct sun comes in...

I dropped a Fiesta coffee mug the other day onto the gray tile and while it wasn't a straight drop--it bounced off my body before hitting the floor--the mug didn't break--didn't even chip...
    Ceramic wouldn't have allowed that...

We are doing master bath remodel and will have to replace flooring in the "wet" area of bath...because I don't want to have another flooring choice (the current one is not made any more) and want to avoid a lip/threshold going into that area, we decided to replace flooring in master suite just to get a continuous flow...
    More expensive than it really needs to be but I just don't want another type/style of flooring...since it's my birthday, that was what I asked for--
    new flooring in master suite...
    We also have another home in TX where most living areas/walkways are large format (20x20) tile...those floors are harder to stand on for long periods like ironing or cooking than here in FL so I am mos' def' a fan of the LVT...

• ERA
    7 years ago

Thank you! Did you go ahead and purchase more Antico LVT, and are you still happy with it?