Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tile vs Amtico and various other LVT questions

Posted by jenny1963 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 19:47

Hi,
I'm considering putting down tile vs. Amtico or Armstrong Luxe or another LVT in our large finished basement where I see clients and also have a large family room, as well as a guest room. We are prone to flooding and although have done everything possible to eradicate the problem, it would be foolish to continue with carpeting as I have bad flood karma.

I've read of many lovers of Amtico, and other LVT as well as some strong detractors on this site, and was wondering how people felt since Amtico was purchased by Mannington (did the quality go down only then?)
Amtico is currently made in the U.S. and not in China.

I was going to use a woodgrain porcelain tile (like Dal's), but just discovered that the installation is much much cheaper with Amtico, and that it's essentially "bullet-proof." The rest of our house has natural hardwood, stained a medium-dark golden brown stain.

Also, it sounds like if we'd like to put heat mats under tile (in lieu of radiant heat as the concrete floors are already there without radiant heat,) we could, but could not do so under LVT; is that correct?

Thoughts?

Also, which colors look the most natural, or is it better to go with something that looks painted or stained?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tile vs Amtico and various other LVT questions

Correct, in-floor heating should be under tile, not vinyl.

Sure, real tile is going to cost more to install, but is less subject to water damage and will last virtually forever. Long term is cheaper, IMHO.

Pizza is cheaper than steak.....lol

o

Thanks, StoneTech! I thought Amtico (or other LVT) was not subject to water damage if you flood. Am I wrong?

o

LVT isn't as bulletproof as tile. It's definitely a big step up from carpet. LVT scratches but seems to be preferred for comfort reasons to tile. Second most to tile, i've read it stands up well to standing water on the surface.

o

LVT isn't as bulletproof as tile. It's definitely a big step up from carpet. LVT scratches but seems to be preferred for comfort reasons to tile. Second most to tile, i've read it stands up well to standing water on the surface.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here