Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Different Wood Color on Each Floor - What to do with the Stairs?

Posted by cmw0829 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 19:22

We're planning to sell our house and have been repainting and getting the house into shape. My question has to do with how to address the wood floors and stairs.

When we remodeled the kitchen, we put white oak floors (just coated with poly) in the kitchen and adjacent family room. Living room and dining room are red oak and a dark stain. The stairs and second floor are the same dark stain as the living and dining rooms. We don't plan to refinish he second floor as we've been able to get the floors looking really good.

The realtor suggested that we refinish the living and dining rooms to a light finish to match the white oak. We're good with that since the first floor will look more spacious.

Orr question is whether to refinish the stair treads to match the lighter first floor or to leave them dark like the second floor.

Our thought is that they are visually part of the first floor and so they should be light. But we're just not sure.

As an afterthought, would you put carpeting on the stairs, leaving the edges exposed?

Your thoughts would be most appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Different Wood Color on Each Floor - What to do with the Stai

Here is an example of combo paint & dark stain on stairs with blonde main floor wood stain. I will also post an example of painted stairs with a carpet strip. Of the two, I think the stairs painted to match walls, with a carpet strip, looks better. But that's just personal preference.

o
RE: Different Wood Color on Each Floor - What to do with the Stai

It won't let me post the pic I have of the painted stairs (wrong extension), so I'll try the link to Houzz.

Here is a link that might be useful: Painted stairs w carpet

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here