Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First Peek, Newly Refinished Antique Hardwoods

Posted by beth0301 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 19:11

I usually only hang out in the decor forum but I was so excited I wanted to share.

These were in pretty bad shape when I bought the house 3 weeks ago. Lots of pet stains had soaked through the shag carpet and melded in to the antique hardwoods. It was a nightmare just getting the old pad up as it was "glue" down with dried, uh, pet accidents.

I'm pretty happy with how they've turned out though! My motto is hardwood is forever, even if it was mistreated for a great many years. :)

This was taken tonight after I laid down the first coat of varnish. I'll follow up with a couple more coats, but was so excited I wanted to share.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First Peek, Newly Refinished Antique Hardwoods

They look beautiful!! Did you stain them?

o

Yes, they were sanded all the way down to bare wood, stained and this is the first coat of varnish. I plan to do two more coats.

They are wet in this photo - once they are dry I need to decide on how glossy I want them. I orginally planned on satin, which is what this is, but now that I see how pretty they are shiny I may switch to semi gloss for the next two coats. I'll wait until they are fully dry to decide.

o

Just gorgeous!!!

o

They are beautiful.

o

I wonder how much you had to sand down before it showed the bare wood. Was it handscraped? Engineered or solid wood floor? It is always interesting to know how people resand and finish their hand scraped aged looking floors.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here