Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tigger

Need advice for achieving REALLY dark ebony stain

tigger
15 years ago

Hello - we're about to sand and stain new white oak floors as well as refinish existing floors (also white oak). We want to go with a very dark stain, and the darkest I've seen without being totally black is ebony - we want the wood grain to slightly show, but not a lot if that makes sense. Anyway, we won't be doing this ourselves and are in the process of talking with the flooring company who installed the new oak floors about the stain. So far they have given us 2 samples of ebony stain as shown in the photo below (supposedly different companies - one Minwax, not sure what the other is). Neither of them are what we are looking for and not sure what to do at this point. In researching this, I've found that others have stated that they were unable to achieve a stain that is dark enough without first using some type of dye, then staining. The floor company doesn't appear to have heard of this and have suggested another option of adding some paint to the stain - is this possible or recommended?? Any other suggestions? I'm not sure if we need to be looking for another company since the floor is not something I'm willing to compromise on. As you can see in the photos below, the stain is not very dark at all - it actually looks more like a walnut stain to me rather than ebony. I don't want to see the wood grain nearly as much. Thanks!

{{gwi:1530063}}

Comments (4)