Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scuzzynutty_gw

Newly Installed Wood Floor Upstairs is slanted

scuzzynutty
12 years ago

Hi, I'm having new wood floors installed in our entire downstairs and upstairs hallway. We had the previous wood floor (which was excellent by the way, it was removed because we had a leak downstairs and insurance paid to cover the entire floor even matching the upstairs with downstairs).

The installer finished the upstairs today and i can see quite noticeably that the floor is slanted downward toward one of the spare bedrooms. I told the installer that it's slanted and he said it's very normal for upstairs floors since it's just put on a subfloor of wood that is usually never level.

I guess I'm a bit bothered because I didn't notice that at all on the previous floor. I'm one of those really anal types, so I would have noticed it.

Any comments regarding that? I thought he might have at least tried to level it off somehow with vinyl underneath or something else, I dont know...

Comments (3)

• glennsfc
    12 years ago

If the other floor was installed directly over the subfloor, then the floor was always slanted and you just didn't notice. Very few second story floors are level...flat maybe.

Unless you discussed the out of level issue with the installer beforehand, there really isn't much you can do at this point. Whether or not an installer will attempt to fix a slanted floor all depends on how 'anal' the installer is and how much subfloor preparation is included in the contract.

I notice out of level floors in my house too. I've come to accept it as just how the house is. Hope you can do the same there.

Best Regards.

• scuzzynutty
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the reply.

No discussion was made with the installer on leveling the upstairs because I never noticed it on the previous floor that was there, perhaps because all the baseboard was up and all the floor trim. Right now there is no baseboard or floor trim so maybe it's more noticeable. So i only saw it after it was installed.

I did notice that the previous floor that was there and a vinly bottom, perhaps that was the mositure barrier (although one wouldn't be needed for upstairs). Not sure if that would've previously helped to 'level out' the floor or not. The installer now didn't use vinyl.

Also, the Lauzon floor that was just installed is slightly thinner than the previous floor so when we go to put up the baseboard, there's going to be a 1/8 inch line where the previous baseboard was, i tore out all the caulking that was stuck on the wall where the top of the baseboard was caulked to the wall and it leaves an indented line across the wall. Wondering what the best way to fill that is. I used dry wall paste and then touched it up with some paint, but it still looks noticeable...

• woodfloorpro
    11 years ago

Put the base up to the original height and install quarter round to cover the gap. Since you mentioned caulk I am assuming they are painted. I would then caulk under the door jambs and repaint.
    Were we the installers I would have suggested adding an underlayment to bring the flooring up to the old height and avoided the situation you find yourself in. The cost would have been minimal.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County