Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Humidity Mist on Cement

Posted by TreizeChenes (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 17:53

My husband and I are building a home in Louisiana where the weather is very humid. We notice when the humidity is high, the cement in the interior of the home sweats. How can we assure that this won't affect the flooring when it is installed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Humidity Mist on Cement

Understand that concrete takes a very long time to cure...and during that time some of the moisture that is not incorporated into the cement will flash off as water vapor. Also, you need to know how your concrete was poured, if it is an on-grade slab. Whether or not anything was done, other than to pour the concrete in direct contact with the earth, your slab will emit moisture for a long time.

The only real way to prevent problems with a surface finish, whether it be paint, vinyl, ceramic, wood or others, is to have either a liquid-applied or membrane moisture vapor barrier or retarder installed and then use the appropriate bonding material (adhesive); this is especially important when installing any adhered wood product. Humidity condensing on a cold hard surface can be a problem, but moisture from below is much worse.

If your doing a floating installation...well that is a horse of a different color.

o

Thank you glensfc. I am posting a picture to show how the surface was prepared prior to pouring the slab. Was there anything else we should have done prior? Just want to make sure that the company we used did everything correctly. And thanks for the info on preparing the cement prior to installing the flooring.

o

This question is redundant. On another thread here as well.

o

Southern:

Sorry...didn't know that I am only allowed to post one question in one thread. I thought I would post on both threads since it pertained to both threads. I have used these forums intermittently and am not familiar with proper posting, etc.

Won't be posting in different threads regarding the same subject again. Thank you for making me aware of this rule.

o

What rule? There is no such rule...enlighten me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here