Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
peg and groove hardwood floors

Posted by zagyzebra (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 20, 13 at 16:54

I have a 1931 home with a hardwood floor in the main living room that must be replaced due to fire. The original beautiful hardwood floor has slightly darker round pegs. I loved it.

Everyone says hardwood floor aren't done in this style any more. Indeed, I can't even find any similar pictures on the internet!

My first question is, if you had a beautiful old home that you were trying to restore, would you attempt to stick with the authenticity of the room and put in a new peg and groove hardwood floor, or abandon the pegs because because "no one does then now?"

My second question is, has anyone done these old-style peg and groove hardwood floors lately and, if so, do you have any tips for me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: peg and groove hardwood floors

Have you called any professionals? My company does them even its not advertised. Ask around

o

Greg Mills: I'm in L.A. By any chance is your company?

o

In our kitchen remodel a year ago we installed red oak floors pegged with walnut to match existing floors in a family room and breakfast room. A quality local craftsman had no problem laying the oak strips, drilling for the pegs and hammering in the pegs. They match the old floor perfectly.

This photo, taken for a different post, shows both new and old floors, roughly changing from new nearest the camera to old flooring under the dog.
 photo traystorageitems.jpg

This shows the adjacent family room, nearest camera, with old floors. Old floors continue into the kitchen to about the center of the table, where the new flooring begins.
 photo 1fromtheoutsideP1060908.jpg

We cannot tell the difference between new and old. I think most floor guys could do this if they are used to laying unfinished hardwood.

o

Sorry my company is based out of Minnesota.

o

Bellsmom, beautiful floors!! love the stain! can you tell me what stain you used or maybe you just used clear coat on your oak? look great! do they tend to turn yellow over time?

o

There is NO stain. These are red oak floors with a natural finish. The ones in the nearby family room were refinished 20 years ago. No stain. They look exactly the same as the ones in the adjacent kitchen that were installed and/or refinished last year, again with no stain. No color change at all over 20 years.

The top photo (with the dog) is pretty close to the actual color. There is a definite warm tinge to the wood. I would say it is a little warmer/redder in real life than in the photos.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here