Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Toughest finish for wood flooring?

Posted by icspotz (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 29, 08 at 16:29

With 4 large dogs, we need to find a wood floor finish that will hold up with a minimum of damage. We've had laminate flooring for many years but it just doesn't have the same look as natural wood so for our new house, we want the real thing.

I've gotten varying opinions: 1.) solid wood/no stain/polyurethane finish (because it's easy to refinish), 2.) solid wood/commercial epoxy finish (like what's on gymnasium floors??), 3.) engineered wood with factory applied aluminum oxide finish.

Specific recommendations would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Toughest finish for wood flooring?

with dogs, your floor will get scratched. No question about that and no finish will prevent scratching. I have a large active pit bull and I think the perfect solution is to get a finish that is easy to repair. I am using Waterlox. Spot repairs are a breeze!! I am using no stain and 4 coats of waterlox. I know Bailey will scratch the floor and if (when) she does, I can just dab a little waterlox on the scratched area and it looks like new again.

o
RE: Toughest finish for wood flooring?

It is the denting from dog's nails that will show the most on any wood floor, no matter how they are finished and with what. The satin finishes will show scratching and damage less than the glossier ones.

If site finishing, choose a commercial waterborne (two-part) finishing material, such as those made by BonaKemi, Basic Coatings, Vermeister and a few others. They are the most durable film-forming finishes made today and are totally cured in about seven days.

The Waterlox materials, hardwax oils and all that are fine, but expect more maintenance on your part to keep them looking good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here