Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindarenee_gw

What features to look for if you must buy budget priced carpeting

lindarenee
13 years ago

Our kids are over budget on their new house so must cut corners on carpeting. They will be carpeting 3 bedrooms and an open loft that will be used for a play area and office. They have one infant and 2 dogs.

They are thinking Home Depot or Lowes. Is there a web site someone can recommend that will mentor us on how to choose strands, fibers, weight, density etc. when selecting budget grade carpeting? I did a quick search but find either seller sites or an E-Book by Alan Fletcher. I know you get what you pay for, none the less, hoping to get the best for the money spent. Need some practical tips.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Comments (3)

• boxers
    13 years ago

there is no secret formula and frankly factors such as 'density, etc are usually illusionary and won't actually tell you much in regards to how its going to look in a few yrs. I'd consider Smartstrand in a frieze style. Look for products with appearance retention warrantys vs 'wear' warranties which frankly are useless. I'd avoid HD and Lowes like the plague!!!! You won't get good service or advice. Go to a 'stocking' floor covering dealer and learn from them. Good luck

• Floortech
    13 years ago

I agree with boxers..1st off the mention of hd and lowes with the predicament you state....has you in the wrong direction. A 25 ounce builder grade nylon with a 7/16 6 lb cushion will do you well. Shaw store..ask for Zipp Plus....should be able to have it installed for maybe 2.19 sq ft. Good value. A box store can never give you that guidance..just forget about what you are looking for in a box. The shaw store will have to show you a deck board of it ...they will not have it on a card or swatches. If they show you Hawkeye, demand Zipp plus..same specs both Continuous filament and cost the dealer about a buck a yard less. They can install it for 2.19 sq ft..trust me..We sell it to builders for under 2 bucks installed but you will not get that price and rightfully so. SmartStrand will be quite a lot more. There is a SmartStrand called Powerplay that will compete with the price of the Shaw piece..doesent quite have the hand that the shaw piece has....but a great value. I am giving you inside info to 2 fantastic products at the right pricepoints that will perform for 10 years in the enviornment you describe. Now it is up to you to listen to it and HD or Lowes cant help you at that price to match up to these. Good Luck

• lindarenee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, you have steered them away from HD and Lowes.
    There was a commercial dealer my husband used to work with when he did a lot of re-model work. He has since moved out of town and has his own carpet business. We are going to look him up. Thanks for the good advice. LindaRenee