Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

how do you clean your hard wood floors...

andrelaplume2
16 years ago

Sweep them? Swiffer them - dry wet or both? What works best? What products etc etc.

Comments (13)

• johnmari
    16 years ago

I like the Bona Kemi hardwood cleaning kit, spray cleaner and microfiber mop, available from your flooring dealer or most Ace Hardware stores. (From what I can tell the Bruce and Robbins sprays are exactly the same product as the Bona Kemi.) Use the spray sparingly - if you use too much the floor can look sticky or streaky. We use the spray every other week, sometimes only once a month; have had our floors (500sf) for over 2 years and are not quite through the first bottle yet so while it seems pricey to look at it's really not because it lasts ages. It is easiest to spritz the floor, set the mop head on the floor as far from you as you can reach comfortably, and PULL the mop toward you like you're raking leaves rather than pushing it away from you like you would if you were wet mopping.

Much of the time you just need to dust-mop or vacuum the floors. If you use the vacuum, make sure you turn off the beater bar (on some vacuums you raise it, check your manual) or brush, or use the hose attachment, as the beater bar can scratch the dickens out of the finish.

If you like the dry Swiffers, try the Scotch-Brite version of the cloths - they pick up a LOT better than the Swiffer brand, and you can still use them on the Swiffer mop head. You can use microfiber cleaning cloths on that too, and skip buying disposable products entirely. We simply bought a second Bona Kemi mop head and use that as a dustmop, tossing the microfiber mop heads and cleaning cloths into the laundry with the towels. (Using fabric softener on both microfiber and towels reduces their absorbency, so it's a fine combination.)

A big loud "no" on the wet Swiffer cloths, they're too wet for wood. Don't wet/damp-mop hardwood floors. Washing with stuff like vinegar or Murphy's Oil Soap will void most prefinished flooring warranties nowadays.

• pharaoh
    16 years ago

swiffer for dust collection and/or vacuum.

once in a few months I will wipe it with waterlox floor cleaner (with a damp cloth)

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I thought the swiffer clothes might be too wet...how about the swiffer WetJet?

• kathaus
    16 years ago

I have a WetJet, and "satin" finish hardwood oak flooring. Even though I use the WetJet bottle marked for hardwood floors, it still seems to leave my floors dull, more so than my old method of vinegar and water.

• floorman67
    16 years ago

consult the manufacturer and follow the care and maintenance instructions for your product.

follow them to the letter to maintain the warrenty.

Not all hardwood flooring has the same care and maintenance requirements and instructions.

• home_nw
    16 years ago

johnmari - Once again, you've saved the day! Your summary of how to clean hardwoods was clear and answered every single question I had (...and some I didn't have but should have had). Thanks!!

• home_nw
    16 years ago

Can anyone recommend an electric floor cleaner that can be used with the Bona cleaning solution? I love the way Bona cleans and shines our pre-finished wood floors, but the Bona mop is too hard on me! We have lots of sq ft of wood flooring, so by the time I'm through, my arm and hand are numb from all that back-and-forth motion. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

• clt3
    16 years ago

Bona has a new wetjet type of mop out. Has anyone seen or used one yet? I'm hoping they'll be available locally, I hate spending $10 for shipping.

• captainj
    15 years ago

PF Hardwood Floor Cleaner and Polish are the best on the market when it comes to cleaning your floors to make them look just like they did the day they were installed!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pametto Floor Care

• teddas
    15 years ago

For 11 years I have used hot water and white cider vinegar. Works like a charm, no buildup of anything and no slipping afterwords.. I also use it on the cabinets.

• oofasis
    15 years ago

I use water and vinegar too (distilled white) with microfiber cloths. No streaks, fresh smell, no need for drying if the cloths are wrung out really well.

However...while that cleaning method works really well, I find that I have to clean the floors on my hands and knees. Yes! Oh, it's horrible! It's because our little dog is a slob, dribbling water all over. For some reason (his saliva??), the dried drops don't simply wipe off. It takes heavy pressure on the cloths, going over and over each drop until they disappear. I have the Bona cleaner but it's no more effective than water and vinegar. A mop just doesn't do it, unless I don't have the right one.

• chops57
    15 years ago

I use bona kemi with the omop microfiber mop.
    I get the bona kemi concentrate from ebay.

• netshound
    15 years ago

What if you don't have "installed" hardwoods but original Red Oak hardwoods with a Satin sheen? Is the cleaning method the same as newly installed floors?