Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jillybeanstalk_gw

VCT tile in laundry room??

jillybeanstalk
15 years ago

I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive and fun, funky flooring option for my laundry room, and keep coming back to VCT tile by armstrong - fun colors in a checkerboard pattern. I don't want anything too high maintenance though, with 3 little kids keeping me busy enough already. I'm not too picky - figure I could just seal it once and live with possible stains or the dulled shine that follows. Is VCT tile o.k. to put under washer/dryer and in room that will gets spills and drips? Any opinions/advice greatly appreciated!!

Comments (8)

• floorguy
    15 years ago

VCT, must be waxed and burnished often, if there is a lot of traffic. After so often, stripped, and new wax applied and start the process over.

• mereanne
    15 years ago

We have destroyed the black and white VCT tile in our kitchen over the past four years. 2 adults, 2 toddlers, and 3 dogs...the tile hasn't held up so well and is starting to crack and peel up in places. Also note that since the color is flat and does not have variation, every bit of dust, dirt, or smudge shows up right away and I am constantly sweeping and mopping.

It could look great in a lower traffic laundry area.

• hmdennis
    14 years ago

I had VCT tile in my past kitchen and it really seemed to not wear well. If you love the look you might consider Marmoleum tiles. I have them in my house and so far, so good, but it is in an area that doesn't get alot of wear.

• caryscott
    14 years ago

VCT is sold for commercial use so it should hold up to a residential laundry room. I worked in a public art gallery for years where we had it going up the stairs and on the landing and it was teflon and we never waxed it (we have nice long winters here so it was subject to a fair bit of moisture as well). We have it in the preparation room and vault where I work now and it looks pretty much like it did 5 years ago (only spot in the building with it so it has never been waxed since being installed)

As to the waxing and re-waxing unless your laundry room is the hub for the whole neigbourhood it will probably take years for the floor to see the kind of traffic CVT sees in a week in a commercial setting.

Any flat solid colour will show wear and dirt but Standard Excelon Imperial Texture (the stuff they sell at HD) is all mottled with various registrations of colour in it so it will hide a lot if you pick the right colour. I'd go for it.

• LE
    9 years ago

reviving an old thread, I know!

I'm putting this in a room that is combo laundry room and art studio. I'm wondering what "normal" people do to maintain VCT. It doesn't need to hold a mirror finish or anything, and I don't see myself getting one of those big janitorial machines to maintain it, either. It will get some messes, but not a lot of abrasion.

• callie25
    9 years ago

We put it in our garage maybe 20 years ago. It's very durable & I think we've only waxed it once. We didn't put a high gloss finish on it; it has a low sheen. We talked about renting one of the buffing machines, but decided against it; so we just cleaned it really well the last time.

• LE
    9 years ago

Thanks, southerngal, that is what I was hoping to hear. I have to admit I've never waxed a floor in my life. I looked up the maintenance instructions on the product and they were pretty daunting-- this kind of pad, not that kind, assuming you used a big buffer, and so on. How does one do it by hand then? Is it literally a wax you rub in or a liquid you mop on or what? I don't need a high sheen, either.

Do you use your garage as an actual parking spot? That would be more intensive use than me in my socks, I would think, so I'm glad to know it was durable for you.