Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I use a throw rug on a vinyl floor?

Posted by katrina_ellen (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 13, 12 at 15:51

I just had Armstrong Stratamax sheet vinyl installed in my kitchen and am wondering if I can use a throw rug on top of it? I have read not to use a latex or rubber backed rug, but they all seem to use that for the backing. Any suggestions on what I can use without discoloring the vinyl?
Thanks for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I use a throw rug on a vinyl floor?

My mom had the discoloration problem in her old kitchen and bathroom, so I've always used rag rugs or oriental styles without backing. However, now that I have an active young cat, my rugs turn into piles in the corners. I considered trying that non-skid rug-backer stuff, but I'm not sure if it would discolor things or not.

Actually, I forgot and used standard bath rugs on our Armstrong vinyl in the bathroom, thinking the color is off-white and patterned enough that it might not show any discoloration; a year and a half later, so far so good. Is your flooring really light?

o

jessica,
The floor is a lighter tone, it looks like porcelein tile. My Mom won't use anything but rag rugs on hers, but those are slippery. The orientals are nice, but I would like something I can throw in the washer. I don't know about backer stuff either, most of that I think is latex or rubber. You would think they would sell more throw rugs for vinyl since its used so much.

o

WunderGrip markets rug underpads from Germany that I sell to my customers. Contact them and perhaps they can give you the name of a local rep.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wunder Grip

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here