Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for opinions on waxing over tung oil finish

Posted by simoneaux (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 2, 11 at 15:51

Thanks in advance for any and all opinions!
The decision has been made to finish our heart of pine floors with tung oil. So now I'm interested in your opinions about waxing over the oil.
I know that the oil has to cure completely before any of these things can be done. Here are my questions:
1. Will simply buffing the oil finish with a floor polisher give ANY shine?
2. For those who wax...what's the BEST wax to use?
Any other info on this matter is more than welcome!
Again, Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for opinions on waxing over tung oil finish

You can try to rub your finish to fix your problem.
Use 400 grade sandpaper put in a hand block to sand your finish. sand it until all your nibs is gone and you get a smooth and even surface.
After that you can rub your finishing with steel wool to bring up your sheen. Then you can apply a paste wax to polish the surface.
If you sanding process cannot give you a even surface then you need to re coat with your oil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here