Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help with carpet choice

Posted by pasadenamom (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 15:37

Hi,
I am going to recarpet several rooms in our house plus stairs & am having difficulty making a decision. Have narrowed the choice to three:

1. Shaw Tuftex "Grand Terrace": Luxerell nylon
2. Mohawk "Sheer Ecstasy": Smartstrand with DuPont Sorona Triexta
3. Mohawk "Gentle Essence": Smartstrand Silk with DuPont Sorona Triexta

I've read that the Smartstrand stain resistance is better, which is important because we have cats & a dog. But is nylon better because the Smartstrand might crush down more, especially on the stairs & heavy traffic areas? And Smartstrand Silk seems to be too new & perhaps too soft...? Just don't know.

Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help with carpet choice

I have Smartstrand in all my rental properties and my friends have had it on their stairs for 7 yrs with two cats and lot of traffic. No problems, its a great product. Nylon is not as stain resistant as Smartstrand and can fade and can stain.

o

We just installed Smartstrand and love the feel and look of it. However, it is very hard to find an affordable vacuum that will work on it. Just google it, and you'll be amazed at the problems people are having. Good luck!

o

Thanks!!

o

SmartStrand's durability and stain resistance are unparalleled throughout the carpet industry- and far superior to nylon. SmartStrand carpet is your stair's best friend!

SmartStrand Silk is the perfect premium carpet for your luxurious bedrooms and living rooms- with the same stain protection.

When it comes to vacuums, with any soft carpet ie SmartStrand, especially a premium soft carpet like SmartStrand Silk, you need to take into consideration the plushness & weight of the carpet. You most definitely want to use a vacuum that is CRI (Carpet & Rug Institute) approved.

Dyson Vacuums are not CRI approved and therefore not a good pairing for soft, plush carpets.

If you have a premium soft carpet, you want to find a vacuum that has:
-Beater bar with adjustable height
-Wide wheels (this will keep the vacuum higher & more flexible)

An investment like beautiful, soft carpet deserves proper maintenance- choose a vacuum that will allow for the best upkeep of your carpet! Here are some great models to check out:

Standard Upright Vacuum
Hoover UH70120
Hoover UH70205
Hoover U5780-950
Dirt Devil UD70115
Eureka AS5203A

Lightweight/No Depth Adjustment
Oreck Magnesium
Oreck Magnesium RS
Hoover Nano UH20020W

Canister Vacuum
Hoover Canister S3865
Oreck Quest Pro

o

Thanks for all the info!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here