Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardwood floor - bad installation?

Posted by ninanoire (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 18, 11 at 15:24

Hi all,

We just had 3 1/3 inch oak flooring installed. It looks beautiful and even, but when you walk on it in socks or bare feet, you can feel the ridges between and at the edges of the planks.

I've compared with two friends' floors, and their oak floors feel totally smooth under the feet -- no ridges at all.

Could this be the way the planks are manufactured or is this an installation issue?

Thanks for the help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardwood floor - bad installation?

I assume that your flooring was finished at the factory?

o

Yes, pre-finished with an aluminum oxide finish. They are Paramount floors.

o

Nature of the beast. No factory finished floor will have the flatness of an unfinished that is then finished on site.

o

that is why most pre finished have beveled edges. If its squared edge product you would get sections of 'overwood'. Some would be expected on prefinished but not neccessarily a 'defect'. No subfloor is ever perfectly level.

o

"No subfloor is ever perfectly level."

Or flat (the more important thing).

o

Thanks very much for the information -- I guess it's not an installation issue then.

I'm just somewhat disappointed that our floor seems "rougher" than others I've seen.

o

It might be a product quality issue. Perhaps you might want to bring your concerns to the dealer who sold you the goods and ask for an inspection of the floor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here