Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deesent1

Help asap..How to get really deep dark brown hardwood floors?

deesent1
12 years ago

Hi all! I have someone sanding my floors now and we found dark circles which are probably old urine stains. They are telling me they will hide well with dark stain, but I'm not sure how experienced these guys are. I want really dark floors anyway and I've done dark walnut before on another house and it's not dark enough. I'm afraid the ebony is not brownish at all. Has anyone ever mixed ebony and dark walnut stain and could I see pictures please? Also, any tips on water poppping? Thanks so much for anyone helping me!

Comments (11)

• deesent1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I thought I would also mention that my floors are oak...
    I really really appreciate anyone's help. The guys are rushing me to make a decision.

• weedyacres
    12 years ago

I used Dark Walnut stain (2 coats) on oak for my stair treads and they're pretty darn dark. Sorry for the blurry pic; it's the only one I've got on my laptop.

• User
    12 years ago

"Masking" urine stains is virtually impossible. The boards should be replaced. Or the next hot day your home may smell like a cat lady house.

• GreenDesigns
    12 years ago

Dark brown floors show dirt and dust way more than medium toned ones do. Be sure you are up for daily Swiffering if you choose a dark floor or you will come to hate it.

Plus, no matter what you do, you need to replace the urine soaked wood. There is no "disguising" that when summer humidity comes around.

• deesent1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for your responses. I've already gotten a coat of stain on before seeing them. So, you are saying that even with a coat of stain and 2 coats of poly, you will smell urine on hot days? Yikes, I sure hope not! It was hot during and after the sanding process and I never noticed a urine smell. The stains were several years old and I'm guessing they were pet urine since the previous owners had lots of pets.

• glennsfc
    12 years ago

Sometimes there can be lingering urine smells from compromised wood and sometimes not. The urine crystals can also compromise the finish in some cases. If you detect no lingering odor on the worst summer days and the finish remains intact for a year, then you probably won't have any of those problems with your floor.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

Here's a method for getting a very dark brown with wood dyes.
    Base it on "dark brown mahogany" color dye. Add black dye until it is dark enough. Then if necessary add dark red dye drop by drop until it's warm enough.
    Casey

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

If you do not mind really dark, even running to black, use 'liquid nightmare', AKA asphaltum.

Cut it with paint thinner, apply, allow to dry, ad than cover with a solvent based finish.

Make test pieces up.

• deesent1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You are all very kind to reply... thank you so much! Brickeyee... do you have a photo of floors done with liquid nightmare and where do you buy it?

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

Any place that sells general roofing supplies should have it.

No pics.

It is a 'cut and try' (or in this case dilute and finish).

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago

deesent ... He's talking about using diluted roofing tar as the floor finish.

It's definitely dark, but not a good finish for floors.