Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hcgirl_gw

Vinyl Plank next to Laminate?

hcgirl
10 years ago

Hi, I am new to Gardenweb, but when I did searches, all these forums are so full of helpful advice, that I had to join. I live in a small, mid-70's ranch house that has hardly been updated (we usually have to fix things like the well and the roof before we can get to cute things like floors and countertops). The house is small (1600 sq ft) and has an open floorplan. We currently have vinyl wood-look planks in our kitchen (we put them in ourselves about 4 years ago) that I love. They are easy to care for and water resistant and go from our kitchen to the laundry room so it's a great application. We have horrible carpet from 1994 in the living room that abuts the vinyl floor. I would like to replace this with a nice laminate. The problem is that the flooring will be completely different. I could "match" the color (oak) or contrast it, and I am frozen trying to decide. My family wants me to just put in carpet since that won't "look weird", but I have wanted to get rid of carpet for years (dogs, kids, country life, etc). I can't afford wood. I was thinking of a hickory rustic laminate for contrast and even maybe running the planks in a perpendicular pattern so it looks like I chose different wood looks on purpose. I also considered just getting more of the vinyl and keeping the same floor throughout the living room, but I just think even if it is "wood look" it's a kitchen floor. I have a little money saved up for this and am getting a professional installer, but I have to shop for and buy product and I just don't want to make a mistake. Even though the total for about 450 sq ft will be about $2,200.00, that is a lot of money to me. I am getting a pro so that he will undercut our fireplace and also the trim will look good. Sorry for the long post, but I really need some advice. I'm not worried about resale and I am going to be buried in the yard with all our dogs (just kidding, but yeah, gonna live here forever!). Thanks!

Comments (4)

• jules8
    10 years ago

If you love the vinyl planks, why not use them in the living room? I have Mannington planks in my kitchen and also love them. I say use what you like. don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

• 51gerri
    10 years ago

Many years ago my husband and I installed vinyl plank (Novalis less than $1 sq. ft.) all through our home. We did it as a temporary measure because I couldn't stand the carpet any longer and couldn't decide what I really wanted. All these years later I love it. It's fantastic with pets. It still looks good. Most people ask what kind of flooring it is because it never occurs to them that it could be a peel and stick vinyl plank. I've read that if laminate gets damaged it really takes a professional to replace the damaged pieces. Damaged vinyl planks are easy to replace. Do whatever kind of flooring you want, not what other people think you should have. You're the one who'll have to live with it.

• hcgirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the advice! The plank we have is floating, but you are right..so easy to care for and we did have to pull up one when it was gouged...easy fix! I do love it. Maybe I should put it throughout the house...it just does seem like a great kitchen/bath/laundry floor but not really a living room/entry/hallway one. I would also save about $800 if we did it because that is the install cost of the laminate (which has to be a pro). The vinyl (Trafficmaster Allure) can be installed with just an exacto knife, no kidding. However, I think a pro would "finish" it better than my hubby...there is a rock fireplace and other places where trim is a bit of an issue. I talked to my guy today and he said that we would place it at a 90 degree angle to the kitchen and the color change would be fine. I want to be a couple of shades darker but not so dark as to show dust and dog hair (the vinyl shows NOTHING!). I thought maybe the distressed hickory? Or pecan? Argh. Thanks again for the advice. If anyone has butted up two kinds/colors/types of wood or wood-look floor and either liked it or hated it, I would love to know!

• honugirlhawaii
    10 years ago

I was at Home Depot the other day. The Allure planks come in a cork look and I think a stone look as well. I would think placing two different "mediums"
    side by side would be a nice match.
    I am considering installing luxury vinyl tiles in the stone look (mannington adura or armstrong alterna) in my kitchen and vinyl wood look planks for the rest of the house.