Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
red vs white oak, 3.25" vs 4" - thoughts?

Posted by seosmp (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 13:50

Hi,

I'm replacing my entire first floor flooring (currently a mix of carpet and pre-finished maple).

Current plan is to go with oak. Any reason to go white vs red?

I'm also debating about width. My current boards are 2.25". I want to go with wider planks. Is there any reason to choose 3.25" vs 4"?

What are the pros/cons of each?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: red vs white oak, 3.25" vs 4" - thoughts?

3-1/4" is generally more stable since it's narrower and should have more fasteners. 4" may cost a bit more but it has a slightly better visual pop. Essentially they are both what I'd call a "background" floor that lends a quality look to your home without competing with other design elements.
Red Oak is more uniform in color and has a red/orange hue.
White Oak is slightly harder and less grainy, has more color variation and more of an almond or taupe cast.
Both can be stained but White Oak produces richer brown stain colors. Red Oak can be very grainy looking when stained dark.

o
RE: red vs white oak, 3.25" vs 4" - thoughts?

Thanks for the information!

I think I'd prefer the visual pop, and I am staining it dark..... so seems like 4" white oak is an appropriate choice!

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here