Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

Fiber Floor Installation Question

andrelaplume2
10 years ago

Ok, being an allergy sufferer I tend to tak no chances. I do not want carpet in the basement for fear of:

1) natural mositure coming up thru concrete will over time create mold underneath

2) a flood of some sort could do the same

I found tarket fiberfloor and thought it could be a good alternative. It says its installed free floating (or glued) and water/mold resistant. I figured as a free floating install I could periodically pick it up to insure nothinng is brewing. Further, if there was a flood, I could roll it up, clean and dry the floor and put it back down.

The installer however won't install it in the basement as a free floating floor. He says they have no luck with that. Eventually it will ripple here or there; especially with a bunch of cuts around stairs / closets etc. They prefer to glue it down for a permanant solution.

Tarkette says that would work but mold could still brew under there...it would eventually show as a discoloration to the flooring.

I could twist the installers arm and get it installed with no glue I guess. The installer did my entire house above grade. However, I would think they would know if its going to ripple or not.

I feel like I may be back to sqaure one...painting the floor and throw rugs.

Opinion on fiber floor in basements...glue / no glue / skip product all together?

Comment (1)