Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fiber Floor Installation Question

Posted by andrelaplume2 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 12:49

Ok, being an allergy sufferer I tend to tak no chances. I do not want carpet in the basement for fear of:

1) natural mositure coming up thru concrete will over time create mold underneath

2) a flood of some sort could do the same

I found tarket fiberfloor and thought it could be a good alternative. It says its installed free floating (or glued) and water/mold resistant. I figured as a free floating install I could periodically pick it up to insure nothinng is brewing. Further, if there was a flood, I could roll it up, clean and dry the floor and put it back down.

The installer however won't install it in the basement as a free floating floor. He says they have no luck with that. Eventually it will ripple here or there; especially with a bunch of cuts around stairs / closets etc. They prefer to glue it down for a permanant solution.

Tarkette says that would work but mold could still brew under there...it would eventually show as a discoloration to the flooring.

I could twist the installers arm and get it installed with no glue I guess. The installer did my entire house above grade. However, I would think they would know if its going to ripple or not.

I feel like I may be back to sqaure one...painting the floor and throw rugs.

Opinion on fiber floor in basements...glue / no glue / skip product all together?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fiber Floor Installation Question

As long as your slab is within manufacturer's guideline for moisture emission, then I see no reason for you not to have the flooring adhered with the recommended Tarkett adhesive.

If too much moisture is emitted, then fix the moisture problem with the slab...many ways to do that.

Perhaps discuss the moisture issue directly with the technical folks at Tarkett.

BTW, there are other fiberflor options in the commercial section of the Tarkett flooring business. Look for heterogenous vinyl flooring...similar stuff, more durable and...different patterns and colors.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here